Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anybody use Triple 7

Old 11-19-2002, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default Anybody use Triple 7

Let me know your results. Heard they are going to make pellets next year.

Old 11-19-2002, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody use Triple 7

Tried it. It shot high compared to other powders, and destroys patches...I had to use a Wonderwad even with wa patched round ball. This stuff is powerful!! It also leaves more fouling in my barrels (tested in 5 different rifles) than Pyrodex. Had to clean between shots, might as well have been using black. But after a day's shooting, it is much easier to clean the guns than with BP or Pyrodex-but not better than Clean Shot or ClearShot!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using Triple 7 in my Knight and I really like it. It does seem to leave more fouling than pyrodex, but the fouling is really loose in the bore. I spit patch between shots anyway, and found that the first (spit) patch with T7 is solid black like true BP. However, the second dry patch comes out light gray and the bore looks almost clean, meaning that most of the fouling came out with one swipe. It's really easy to clean once home too.

It's also the most powerful powder available for muzzleloaders (unless you own a Savage ML-10) so you get higher velocities for a given powder charge. It's also very accurate and consistantly delivering 1.5" groups from my DISC.

I really like it a great deal and wouldn't switch back to black powder or pyrodex again.

Oh, and I think the pellets are over-priced and over-rated. My guns deliver only marginally good accuracy with pellets, and they're MUCH more expensive than bulk powder. Consider that a box of 100 Pyrodex pellets costs $25 and yields 50 100grain charges. A pound of bulk pyrodex costs $16 and yields 70 100 grain charges. With the added bonus of being able to finely taylor your load to best suit your rifle and needs. Not worth it IMO.

Good luck,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-19-2002, 09:19 PM

I have used both. Prefer the Pellets to hunt with. Use the Triple Seven on the range. I shoot a Knight Disc Extreme, both shoot well out of the rifle. Get a little better accuracy out of the Triple Seven, and is a little easier to clean up at the end of the day. Like said above the cost per shot is alot higher for the pellets compared to the Triple Seven, but the convience of the pellets in the woods is hard to beat.

Old 11-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Be careful with 777. It is more powerful than BP and Pyrodex. This stuff could blow out nipples or bolster drum screws. This stuff is also gaining a bad reputation for freezing up breech plugs, so pull them and clean them often while shooting.