Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Disc Rifle Cleaning?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Disc Rifle Cleaning?

What is the best thing to clean the barrel threads where the breechplug seats? That is always the most miserable part of cleaning of my gun.....any tips??

Also, I forget right now who suggested the alcohol/winsh. wash fluid but that works great! Thanks!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Disc Rifle Cleaning?

I have a round brush that I put alcohol on and run it in and rotate a few times...Followed by a alcohol soaked patch on a gun cleaning rod...Then a oiled patch after its clean...I use a tooth brush for the breech plug...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

What is the best thing to cleanthe barrel threads where the breechplud seats? That is always the most miserable part of cleaning of my gun.....any tips??

Also, I forget right now who suggested the alcohol/winsh. wash fluid but that works great! Thanks!
I myself do not like pushing breech grease thru the barrel. so I push a brush from the muzzle and remove the brush. I bought that kit from T/C or use a 20 guage brush to clean out the threads.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

On my disk rifle I like to pull the bolt first. Then I take the breech plug out of the barrel. I then like to take the barrel from the stock. From here I like to take the barrel without the breech plug in (along with the breech plug and bolt)to the sink. I then pour dish soap water down through the barrel. Usually about three seperate cup fulls will do the job. Then I take the breech brush that you can purchase from many stores like Cabela's. Hold the breech/barrel over the sink, dip the brush and then get that brush in there and start scrubbing. I even squirt a little dish soap in there so it really foams up. Keep dunking that brush and scrub back and fourth and twist in a clockwise direction. Inspect the threads now and they should be clean. Pour a cup of hot water or two back through the barrel and wash any soap out.

This is also a good time to have an old toothbrush, or you can purchase nylon, brassand steel brushes and clean the breech plug and bolt face at this time in the dish water. It will clean up fast. After that some solvent patches and a few Q-tips and all of that will be nice and clean as well.

Now back to the bench with all of the stuff. A few solvent swabs down the barrel, and the rifle barrel, breech threadsand bore are all clean. That same windshield washer fluid and alcohol is a good thing to use to swab the bore. Now a few dry patches and last, a good gun oil to protect everything.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the help, i will have to get me one of those brushes shown above!!!