Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun issues

Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default New gun issues

My brother just bought the CVA Optima Elite and when we went to sight it in a couple of weeks ago the first bullet went down the just fine... all the way like it was suposed to but each following bullet would not go as far as the previous one. Finally it got to be about 4-5 inches from whereit was supossed to be.We swabbed between each shot but it seamed to not matter. After about 5 shots we removed the breach plug and ran the brush down the barrel and could not seem to remove the fouling where the powder ignites. It seems that that is where the bullett is stopping now. I can't push it in any fruther with my hands. however if I have something to hit my ramrod withI can make it go all the way down but I don't want to have to do that. Even after a through cleaning the bullet still stops about 4-5 inches from where it should. I have a regular CVA Optima and have never had this problem.

Our other issue with this gun my be a direct result of the first issue but there seams to be no rhyme or reason to the shot patterns. It will put to shots togather high and right then the next will be low then the next high and left ... You just never know where it will hit. There is no point in adjusting the scope because you neverknow where your next shot will go.what could be the deal there?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New gun issues

As to your accuracy issues I think your dead on with your observations. When you can not get consistency with each shot respectivly, then you can not really expect accuracy. Just the fact they one loads easy, the next hard, etc I have found plays havoc with your accuracy and group size.

The first thing I would do about the rifle is, get some J-B Bore Paste and scrub that barrel paying special attention to the breech area. I would want to make sure that area is smooth and free of any burrs or anything that might be causing the problem.

Second I would suggest going to a cleaner burning powder like APP, Pinnacle, Black Mag3, Shockey Gold, where the crud problems are not as dominant.

Last would be to change sabots to something like the MMP HP-24, Harvester Crushed Rib, Super Glide, or any of the thinner sabots made to combat this hard loading problem.

Keep up the good swabbing routine. Also you might want to start swabbing with a separate range rod which has a bore brush attached to it. Wrap a patch around the bristles, dampen it with a good cleaner like Rusty Duck or Birchwood Casey #77 and swab with that. It sounds like you have excessive crud ring issues and until you can find out the reason for them, this would be the route I would take in order to keep shooting.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

slo pitch: That sure don't sound right.
I think you'll need to give a litle more info and answer some questions before you get a definite answer.
1. What kind of powder were you using and how much? Triple Se7en has a habit of leaving a "crud ring" behind in the area where the bullet is seated on the powder. It USUALLY can be removed with a damp patch so the next will seat on the charge again (a 50/50 mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol and blue windshield washer fluid is what I use.)
2. What is your bullet? Are you using a sabot? Sometimes sabots leave plastic behind - especially with heavy (hot) charges. That is more difficult to clean out than powder residue.
3. Can you visually inspect the area and see that the bore is completely clean after you swab it?
The fact that the first bullet goes all the way down and the next ones don't makes me think it has to be a fouling problem. Many CVA guns have very tight bores, and you may have to experiment with some different sabots to find one that loads better. Harvester Chrush Ribs are thinner than most, and MMP makes a few different thicknesses - I believe the higher numbers are thinner than the lower numbers (HPH-12, HPH-24, etc).
BUT - if you can't get the bullet all the way down on the charge, DO NOT shoot it with a space between powder and bullet!! That is VERY dangerous. You should have a "witness mark" on your ram rod at the muzzle with a bullet seated properly on the charge. If you cannot get the next one to that mark - don't shoot!
Maybe others will have suggestions, but I think they'll want the info I asked for in my questions.

Good Luck
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys,

Jaybe: here are the answers to your questions and thanks again for the help

1. What kind of powder were you using and how much?
100 Grains of 777 (2 pellets)

2. What is your bullet?
Powerbelt .50 CALIBER / 295 GRAIN / AEROTIP COPPER

3. Can you visually inspect the area and see that the bore is completely clean after you swab it?
All is clean except for the area between the breach plug and about 5 inches up. and as far as the bullet going in easy, it is one of the easiest loading bullets I have ever used except when it gets to the last 5 inches.
Yes I have a witness mark on my ramrod. I did that with the first shot ever shot out of the gun and the only way i can get it back to that point is with somepursuading with a hammer on the end of my ramrod. ( iam not banging it like a nail mind you but i do have to do a little more then tap it.)
Again thanks a lot for the help.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

OK - It's pretty obvious that the "except for the area between the breach plug and about 5 inches up" is the problem. You'll have to work on that to get it clean. Follow cayugad's advice and I'm sure it will solve that.
Since you're using Powerbelts, the sabot issue doesn't apply. They ARE some of the easiest loading projectiles out there, so what you'll have to do is figure out why that 5" isn't clean (and/or smooth), and how to keep it that way.

Good Luck

Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Well considering that is where the load sits i guess I should try a different brand of powder as suggested. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you did not clean the factory metal preseveritive out that would explain it. If so scrub the barrel with Simple Green and boiling hot water [be carefull the barrel will get hot]or strong dish soap brush strongly with brass or stainless bore brushthen scrub with alk. cosmoline and its realitives are difficult to remove after they are burned in. I scrub new barrels with alk. then with boiling water and simple green before firing that first shot. Lee
Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

Well considering that is where the load sits i guess I should try a different brand of powder as suggested. Thanks for the help guys.
You don't need a different brand of powder.

You need either 2-1/2" or 3" patches that are wetter than what you're using -- also need a bore brush instead of a jag to remove that crud. Swab after every 2nd shot. Also make sure all oils & lubes are removed from the bore before loading. Straight 91% rubbing alcohol gets that job done. Alky also makes a good swabbing agent. So does Windex. You also need a weaker 209 primer. Buy the regular CCI's when using 777 pellets. If youwould switch to loose powder, then you coulduse Remington Kleanboresand/or Winchester Triple Se7en 209 primers. They really diminish the crud ring.

Loose powder has it's advantages when using 777 powder that exhibits a crud ring.