Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

An interesting test.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default An interesting test.

One of my shooting partners recently purchased a mould from mountainmolds.com that is basically a No Excuses 460 with a keith style nose. He runs them through his lubrasizer using a .501 die and lubes them with whatever lube he's using (not sure what it is). He get good accuracy with them like that.

He recently tried something kind of different. He had some Lee liquid alox lube laying around and decided to roll a few of his sized and lubed bullets around in it to coat them with the alox. On his next range outing he tried shootingseveral 3 shot groups with the No Excuses and several 3 shot groups using the home cast double lubed bullets. The home cast bullets were going into a very tight 1 ragged hole while the NE's were a still respectable 1.5" group. he was alternating between the bullets for each group so it was not bore condition causing the variance. Powder load was the same for both bullets (80gr I think). He shot a total of 10 home cast double lubed bullets and they all went into the same POI hole. He said the last one loaded as easy as the first.

I think its time to invite him over to the house for a day of bullet moulding and make sure he brings his moulds and lubrasizer with him, I'll supply the lead.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: An interesting test.

How's barrel clean-up afterwards using the Alox?... easy or difficult? I thought I read somewhere that it cakes up the rifling in ML bores with repeated use? Hopefully that was coming from an inexperienced ML'er and not the truth. With repeated shots that were easy to load, sounds like something good - not bad! After using it a few times at the range, let us know if you experience any sudden accuracy drop-off or difficult cleaning and/or loading.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Guys- what is alox?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I've used Alox and did not like it all that much. Also I never saw an benifit to accuracy. I use the liquid alox as well. I never shot any of the bulletsI lubed with Alox out of an inline, so I can't comment on clean up.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just verified with the friend that they shot about 12 to 15 shots, no swabbing, using 100gr of Pyrodex RS. The double lubed bullets grouped just under 1" at 100 yards with 9 shots. The average muzzle velocity was 1580fps at 15". The NE's grouped right at 2". All loaded with similar pressure on the ram rod.

His theory is that when he sizes the bullets it leaves the bearing surface unlubed and therefore does not leave lube on the lands as it goes down. This then causes the fouling to become harder to overcome on the next loading. By lightly coating with the Alox it helps keep the fouling soft and gives a more consitent feel to the loading of the next projectile. He also is wondering if it is the combination of the types of lube he is using. He is using a Lyman moly lube in the lubrasizer,he couldn't remember the exact name but it's for pistol bullets and labled suitable for BP use. The Alox is applied by rolling the bullets in it to get a light coating similar to the coating on a 22 rimfire bullet.

I will definately be trying this out in my guns as soon as I can get some from him.