Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Length of Barrel

Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Length of Barrel

I am looking at buying a new traditions yukon it's barrel lenth is only 24". I have looked at most of the other brands out there and most of them are 26" or 28" is this going to make much differance in performance?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Length of Barrel

Nothing wrong with a 24" barrel. I dont think the yukons are magnum charge rifles so it would do fine with 100 grains powder.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Ijust noticed that the yukon is not setup for magnum loads it 's max load is 130 grains of powder. Do you think it would still be a good starting rifle for someone just getting into the sport?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 PM

Yeah the yukon is more than enough for a beginner. My first was a crappy but dependable $60 cva blazer .45cal. Did they say if that 130 max load was loose powder? That would make sense, i own a winchester and they told me that i can safely shoot 130 grains powder with a 385 grain great plains bullet. They didnt recommend 150 grains loose powder, due to it mainly not burning clean and it would be waste. But 130 grains powder is more than enough. What kind of spending limit are you at? i can get u a website with a great gun for $229.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

The Yukon having the shorter barrel would not be a problem as far as performance. As you know or read, most of the posts advocate not using magnum charges. 100 grains and a bullet will be more then enough medicine for the average Whitetail Deer. I would not get too concerned about it. If you shoot pellets, even the pellet manufacturer advises not more then two pellets.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 AM

Has anyone here with a cronograph tested the difference in velocity with the same load in the different barrel lengths. I know it probably wouldn't be much. Wouldn't a few extra fps at the muzzle give you a few more feet on the other end, assuming of course that it could be used accurately.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dbc5150

I am looking at buying a new traditions yukon it's barrel lenth is only 24". I have looked at most of the other brands out there and most of them are 26" or 28" is this going to make much differance in performance?
No... even if it was as short as 22"

Bullet fit/design - plus powder choice in relation to energy and accuracymatter-most.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 AM

Thanks guys for all the info I think I am going to go and get one today afterI run a couple rounds thru itI will let you know how it performs thanks again for all the input..
Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HeavyDutyWonk

Has anyone here with a cronograph tested the difference in velocity with the same load in the different barrel lengths. I know it probably wouldn't be much. Wouldn't a few extra fps at the muzzle give you a few more feet on the other end, assuming of course that it could be used accurately.
For highpowered rifles, a general rule of thumb is 10 fps per inch. Not alot of difference. The difference may be more for slower moving projectile, but I do not know. I've wondered whether bullet stabilization could be improved with longer barrel. Specifically, with all lead bullets of land diameter which may skip before catching the rifling.

Phil
Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Fouryears ago, when I got my T/C Black Diamond XR, I chronograhed it againstmy regular Black Diamond. Both guns are stainless. The XR has a 26" barrel and the regular BD has a 22.5" barrel. Load was three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets with a 250 gr. Barnes Expander MZ. The longer barrel produced 105 fps more velocity. Note: I only fired one shot from each - no average of five or anything.

Quick Reply: Length of Barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.