Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Discounting has started...

Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Discounting has started...

Not sure about anywhere else but the Walmarts here in the Albuquerque area have started putting ML'er gear on closeout. So far it's just the accessories and powder and bullets not the guns. I picked up the 3 boxes of 250 Shockwavestonight for $5 a box (regularly $10). 777 2F is now at $15 but I still have about 3 pounds from last year when I got it for around $10. I also picked up some Rusty Duck Black Off for $3 and a nipple pick for $2. I will check some other stores (we have about 6 in the area) to see what other bargins I can find in the next few days. The funny thing is, I still have 4 weeks till my BP elk hunt and there are BP seasons here through the end of the year, seems a little early to be putting this stuff on closeout, but who am I to complain about a bargin.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Discounting has started...

Dang,

That is a great deal. I know the local Wal-Mart doesn't carry stuff like that. Us city folks have no need for anything like that!

Tom
Old 11-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be surprised to see that store not carry any ML-stuff next year. That has slowly been the trend with Wal*Marts. Some here in the Midwest have discontinued all firearms.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:07 PM

The Wal-Marts her in central Missouri sell everything from Imperial clover to ML gear I went in to grab some tinks 69 the other day and it looked likea bunch of wild dogs fightinover a peace of meat; last minute tag buyers and gettin that piece of gear or gadget that will make all the difference for thethe upcoming weekend for deer season.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,

At my Walmart, the 777is already gone. Last year it sold for $11.00 and I am still kicking myself for not having bought some. Sportsmans Warehouse nearby carries it year-round for 18 bucks or so. The Shockwaves (15 count box), normally sell for $15 here and have been reduced to $11. I noticed thatmore than half have already left (if they get to $5 I'll snatch them up if I can).

Was going to get some 295 PB's for Sproulman but theywere already gone before any reduced prices and the 245 AT PB's (12 count)left today for $5.00 (sorry sproulman, I didn't get a chance to ask you if you wanted the 245's).

I talked with management today. One shouldn't expect things to get as crazy as last year. Last year, they changed policy and decided not to allow their stores to carry year-round muzzle-loading supplies. Stores which did carry ML stuff year round were caught with large inventories. Still, there are some bargains. Good luck to everyone as the Walmart feasting has begun!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back from Walmart.

Boughta couple of hot-shot nipples for $2.00.

A few packages of "5 piece Ramrod accessory set" for $1.50
That was cool included, long cleaning jag, mop, ball puller, two prong patch puller, and a wire brush"

Got a couple of spire point loading tips for $1.00

A brass nipple pick for 1.50.

I saw some Rusty Duck Black Off for $2.00 is this stuff any good.

What about barrel blaster?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the RD black off for a year or so and yes it works quite well. 2 to 4 wet patches, both sides, and a few dry patches and patches come out clean. I then run an alcohol patch or two to dry out any liquid and then verify with a patch of Ballistol, if it's clean I dry swab then use BC Sheath in the bore,finish the outside and and BP/nipple and I'm done.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

My big score last year at post-season sale was a CVA Buckhorn for $70-odd and five pounds of Pyrodex RS at $5/pound. Wish I'd gotten there earlier to get the onsale 777...
Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 PM

Lawton Wal-Marts are slow to discount. Went to both today.Triple Seven powder is discounted to $21.00. No bullets on the shelves at all.