Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockeys Gold Crud Ring

Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Spike

Default Shockeys Gold Crud Ring

I have been reading the posts on this one and I believe that it's caused by oil or lube of some sort in the barrel. I always dry patch the bore then hit it with gun scrubber to degrease a clean barrel, no problems there but I have found the blowback into the breech causes a nasty blackish gray crud that is hard to remove, I use some solvent on steel wool to clean mine. I use gun scrubber to strip the sheath off the breech plug before I shoot and I have no crud there but just behind it's nasty and hard as a rock. I would be interested in knowing the results of someone elses experiences. I have also found that this powder likes a lot of pressure when seating the bullet. It seems to be a whole lot more accurate. Now that tells me it burns or ignites differently and that can play into fouling big time. D.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 AM

Default RE: Shockeys Gold Crud Ring

Try Windexwith vinegar-yes, vinegar the clear Windex-mixed half and half with water. It fizzes and softens the crud right away. Crud can then be wiped away with a rag.