Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My first big'n with BP

Old 11-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default My first big'n with BP

I don't post on here much, mostly on the crossbow forum, but I'm excited about my first big buck with this old Knight Woverine 50 cal. I got a broadside shot and hit him in the scapula and he went down like a rock. Got him at 7:50 AM this morning. No tracking, no looking for, just kissed him and took his picture. LOL.
BBO

Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first big'n with BP

Good for you, BuddyBo! What load were you using?

Man, I wish I had a cornfield to hunt over...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is that your hunting blind in the photobackground?

If he went downright there where you photographed him, that's what.....125 yards? Looks like you shot that photo before gutting him.

Either way... congrats! What was your load?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I have one of them rifles myself... and they are a real accurate little rifle. Congratulations. Now don't leave us hanging, we need specifics...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Depth perception in pictures typicallyis very deceiving.

I'll guess the distance to be in the 50-75 yard range.

Congratulations Bo

How far was he and what load were you shooting? Did the bullet exit the deer?
Old 11-07-2006, 02:19 PM

Nice Buck, looks like an good heavy 8 point. Bet he scores good for you, probably 125-135.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to Go BuddyBO! I too, shoot a Wolverine!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. OK, I shoot just 80 grains of APP with a 240 grain Hornady hollow point/XTP. 209 conversion kit installed with straight 6 power scope over see thru rings. Old used Knight Woverine I bought this year for $150 bucks with the scope on it.
Yes that is my corn field I planted this spring and I justbush hogged it last week just for black powder season which started Saturday the 4th here in North Carolina. I feel cut corn is more natural to deer than shelled corn during gun season but I used shelled cornfor bait all during the archery season. Also, after gun season ends, Jan. 1st, I turn back on my shell corn feeder so they have corn all through the winter and summer. Then turn it off when archery season starts.
No, he was only 35 yards from my box stand when I shot him.(stand in back ground) And yes I called my son and he came andtook the picture before we even moved him an inch. LOL. No, the 240 grain hollow point/XTP didn't exit him as Ihit him square in the high shoulder. (scapula) Only 80 grains of APP. Anyway, less messy and no blood anywhere. LOL
Thanks again for the comments and congrats. And thanks to you cayaqad for giving me those tips on cleaning this rifle a week or so ago.
BBO

Old 11-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

You're most welcome. That's a good load and it seems to work real good. I intend on giving my rifle a day or two these up coming seasons....
Old 11-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Thanks guys. OK, I shoot just 80 grains of APP with a 240 grain Hornady hollow point/XTP. 209 conversion kit installed with straight 6 power scope over see thru rings. BBO
Wow, almost exactly as you, except Goex 2f and Large Rifle Primer conversion. It came with the caps nipple and I converted it to LRP and then they came out with the 209 and I never converted to it! I too shoot the XTP's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.