Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega

Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default T/C Omega

Greets fm CO
I have about talked myself out of buying a Remington Genesis since I've found out it is really a Traditions. Did sort of like the fact I had a tremendous deal on one w/stainless barrel. (Well over $100. off on a brand new one)
Have almost decided to get a blued/black stock version of the Omega. Really could afford a stainless version but I just have to stop somewhere. I also like being able to afford 3 hunting trips back to TN every year plus a "few" trips here in CO.

1. I suppose the blued version would shoot just as well as others???
2. How do you like your Omegas?
3. What accuracy do you get with them?
4. What powder/bullet combos do you use with it?

Thanks Ray

Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 PM

Default RE: T/C Omega

I love my Omega!!!

I found mine shoots 250 Gr Shockwaves with 2 50 Gr pellets of T7 with great consistency, and holds a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards.

Second and third shots are a little tough to load if I dont swab but doesnt seem to effect accuracy unless I shoot more than 3 or 4 shots without cleaning. So, follow-up shots if needed are definately doable, however haven't need a follow-up shot yet.

Good Luck and let us hear how you are getting on
Old 11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Spike

Hello Oldfart/Ray,...I have two .50Omegas,and like both of them,..now.Was very frustrated early on.Easy to clean once you get a system,and all the necessary stuff.You will find lots of info.on this site as to what that may be.Won't go into all that unless you want my input.PM me if interested.The accuracy has become outstanding.Notice I said "has become".Quite honestly it has taken me two seasons to find the right cleaning process,the right bullet,the right sabot,and the right accessory gear to make things,how can I say,..RIGHT.At this point I consistantly get moa at 100 out of a syn/ss with 110gr.pyro.pellets/under 250 gr.Speer gold dots stuffed in an mmp24 sabot,touched off with winchester 209's.And 1 1/4" groups out of the laminate /ss.same primer,same sabot,but 90grs.of pyro.pellets,and 300gr.Hornady xtp's.Just goes to show different barrels like different stuff.This is what took so long.Lots of opptions and possibilites available out there.There are some folks on this site that flat out know what they aretalking about.It didn't take me long to figure out who they are.Listen to them,you'll be wiser for doing so.And there are those that just won't change anything because as they say"I've been doing it this way for years,and I always get my buck".And I can't disagree with there approach.3 and 4"grps.have taken a lot of deer.ButI might venture to say 1 inch groups have crippled less.Good luck to you on your Omega,figure it out and it will do the job for you.Be safe and be successful.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Z5 and like it it will shoot under 2 inches at 100yd with all the loads it likes.I use Shock Waves 200,250 & 300gr I particularly like the 250 with 120gr RS pyrodex some times I use 250gr XTP they shoot with the same load as the 250 Shock Wave and I use the HPH24 Sabot with both. It will also shoot ballets 230gr XTP and Power Belts the PB's like 150 gr and act like a vamit bullet. Lee
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Is the "Z5" a new designation? See some Omegas listed as Z5s and others just as Omegas. If I am shopping for one, does it matter?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: xd9x19

Is the "Z5" a new designation? See some Omegas listed as Z5s and others just as Omegas. If I am shopping for one, does it matter?
It is the no frills version of the Omega. It has cheaper sights and recoil pad. Other wise, it is the same gun as the others with composite stocks. See link below. If you have the money, I would buy the stainless with the laminated stock. I have a Z5 and I am ordering a laminated stock from TC for it.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/omegaZ5.php
Old 11-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Just keep in mind that the omega isnt know for shooting conical bullets that good. If you read all the posts above, they are using sabots. And if you are from colorado, sabots are not legal. Its better to choose a rifle that can shoot both types of bullets. What part of colorado are you from?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Spike

I did notice that most of the posters were shooting sabots. Did see a mention of powerbelts. Anyone else had experience with Omegas and Powerbelts?? From what I've read before the heavier powerbelts seem to have better terminal performance on game. I'm in Aurora, CO, a burb of Denver. I would be using the gun in W TN (I own a small farm back there and also have access to other private land) as well as sometimes in CO, I like to hunt archery here and its 'Either/or".
Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

The 295gr. Powerbelts over 90gr. Black Mag'3 shoot well up to 100 yards. Normally about 2" groups from my stainless .50 with synthetic stock. 348gr. Powerbelts also shoot well. If I were in Colorado I would be looking for a White as they are the absolutely best conical shooter from what I have been hearing. I personally do not have one but in Arizona I can use sabots. I missed the deals on the Whites at Sportsmans Warehouse and have kicked myself ever since. Powerbelts seem to have some performance that is good and some that is not so good on game. There have been several reports of bullets fragmenting. I would not buy a rifle that will only shoot Powerbelt conicals and none other if I were limited to conicals.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:27 PM

Im 30 minutes west of Trinidad. Thats about 3 hours south of denver. I've only seen 3 or 4 people on here with an omega that were getting good patterns with the powerbelts. Most of them are using sabots and pellets. I dont like pellets, waste of money. If you like the remington u might as well go for it. Dont be turned off that its "made" by traditions. I own a traditions and i love that sucker. I just learned that it will shoot powerbelts very very well with that slow twist barrel! Quality of the gun, i have nothing to complain about. These are hardly ever advertised but i own the winchester x-150 and i shot cheap shot sabots, powerbelts,ball-ets and grain plains bullets out of it with any where from inch and a half groups to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. You hold that sucker in your hands and it will be the most solid muzzleloader you will ever hold in your hands. I ordered mine with the SS fluted barrel and camo stock. Best money my ex girl friend ever spent! This is one you should also consider. Even Randy Wakeman considers it an great deal. They give you a capper tool, after a while, you dont even need that tool to load or unload, unless you have fat stubby fingers lol. Never had a flaw with this rifle in the 3 years ive owned it. Mine shoots great out to 150 yards. Ive tried 200 but never really played with that long of a shot before. Best load ive found is either a 245or 295 powerbelt with 120 grains pyrodex RS. Heres the link to check it out: http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/x150.htm
And there is also the winchester Apex, Ive never shot one but i have held one and its a quality built rifle. Alot of people will tell u that the apex is a higher prices cva kodiak... Not sure at all. You put those 2 guns next to eachother and look and feel, you'll notice the big difference in quality. I wont even buy myself another inline, This one is my only inline "baby" lol.
Heres the apex.http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.c...ducts/apex.htm

Thesearest a couple other rifles to consider if you want to swap from sabot to conical.
Let us all know wha you buy.

Jon

Quick Reply: T/C Omega

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.