Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I found out something interesting

Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Default I found out something interesting

Well i took my breech plug out of my winchester today and ive always used TC breechplug tape. Well after a month of it sitting in my gun, i pull it out and that crap was dried up and pretty much fell into pieces. Guess that stuff is worthless. I went back cva breechplug grease for now. Im glad i decided to pull the plug so i could clean out my rifle before i shot it. Now i know why i had hell pulling it out the last time! Another product down the toilet hole. Anyone else ever find this issue?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I found out something interesting

I've never tried the tape for the breachplug. I have had such good luck with Permatex Antisieze that I can't see any reason to change. It even stands up to dozens of shots using 777 and never have a stuck BP. I can see where the tape would keep things cleaner as there is no "grease" to get on other things while installing, but that's a minor thing. Ispread some into the action and bolt area where the primer blowback creates a mess anyway, makes for an easier cleanup.

I've been using the same tube for 3 years now and I've used maybe 15% of it. At that rate I should get about 10+ years out of that one $3 tube. I'm up to 7 ML'ers now so it gets a fair amount of use. I don't shoot anywhere near as much as Cayugad but I do try to get out at least 1 or 2 times a month and take2 to 4 rifles at a time.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the anti-seize that Knight sells. I do not know what it is(technically), but I have never had a problem with it. Also I apply it with a Q-Tip, never had a mess yet, do not waste any, and get complete breech plug coverage. Tom.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I've gotten into a habit of wrapping the plug with simple teflon tape and them painting it with CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease. Although I do not like the new forumula of this product and intend on changing once I run out of it. I will try this tube of Slick 50 One Grease.

With a combination of the two products, it keep the plugs good and sealed, also when I take it out the tape comes right off the breech plug. So it really seemed to work good. If you're talking about the pink Thompson Center Tape, yes I have used it and actually kind of liked it. But my rifles get shot at least once a week and sometimes more then that... So the tape never gets a chance to dry out.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use a Q-tip to apply it and that does make things less messy. I also use the same Q-tip to spread a light coating behind the BP and in front of the bolt where the blowback residue seems to build up. Having that barrier there keeps it from sticking as bad and makes cleanup much easier.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Yeah it was the pink TC teflon tape. That stuff dried to a crusty texture and i had to use a wirebrush to get it out of the threads. I shoot the winchester today, this time with cva breechplug grease and didnt have a problem. I also tried some Meteour black powder with those 385 great plains bullets, 1st-2nd shot were dead center and 6" high " 50 yards" 3ed shot was horrible, it got stuck halfway down the barrel and i had to pull the breechplug and push it out. Actually i had to hammer it out thats how hard it was. Was that Mr. Crud ring? lol. That powder was horrible! I'll never use that again in my inline. Does great in my flintlock, how? i have no clue. I swabbed it all out and put it back together and this time used pyrodex and 295 grain powerbelts with 80 grains pyrodex. Back on target and about 9" high. I have to sight in with the powerbelts sometime later on. Breechplug popped right out after those 6 shots. It was nice to shoot again though. I'll be looking for new sights, my frontsight keeps coming loose and points to the right. I wonder is that gorilla glue would work?