Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried Jim Shockey's Gold Today

Old 11-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Tried Jim Shockey's Gold Today

I have the same issue with my Encore and shockey's gold. After the first couple of shots it becomes very difficult to load the bullet/sabot and seat properly. There isn't much residue in the barrel. But what is there is dry and gritty and really grips on to that sabot.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a powder issue then - if nothing tacky is coming from the swabbing agent you're using - plusyou are 100% sure you removed all the storing oils and lubes before loading your first shot. Regular Windex and alcohol won't cause it. You may have to deal with it by swabbing more often - or change powder manufacturers. This is the first I've heard of Shockeys powder causing tackiness/residue buildup at the breech area.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:42 PM

Triple Se7en: There was no crud ring in the breech area. The sabots were difficult to start past the QLA. It was tough from the get-go and continued to be tough all the way down the barrel. I had to swab in between shots because I could not seat the bullet down on the charge properly.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I thought you could shoot 5000+ rounds out of a muzzle loader with this stuff. Is this a load of bull?

Tom
Tom, I think it must have a lot to do with the gun you use it in. When Pyrodex first came out, I used a lot of it, and could shoot all afternoon without cleaning between shots. This, of course, was a great improvement over plain BP, which only let me shoot two or three shots max. before needing swabbing.

Later, I found that Clean Shot was almost that good, but not quite, althoiugh with Clean Shot it was much easier to clean the gun after a day's shooting.

GOEX ClearShot turned out to be the best substitute I've used as far as fouling and cleaning is concerned, but the stuff was way underpowered. I recently bought a pound of APP, but haven't shot any of it yet, as I have been shooting flintlocks this year, and use Swiss BP in them. However, I have read that there's no discernable difference between Shockey's Gold and APP, except price! Haven't tried Pinnacle yet either, but it is made by APP, so how different could it be?

Black Mag3 sounds like a promising powder, but I haven't found any around here!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:33 PM

I played around quite a bit with 2F Jim Shockey Gold back in September - burned an entire pound of it in my new Genesis. In my gun, the barrel needed to be clean and dry at the start of a shooting session. I swabed with a wet alcohol soaked patch and then immediately fired a primer before loading the first shot. Any sort of swabbing between subsequent shots added an undesireable variable into the process, and made bullets seat harder. Opposite of all other powders I have used to date.

Although the first couple of shots might or might not hit the point of aim (in my gun they were usually high); after fouling the barrel, the point of aim was very consistent from a warm or cold barrel. Since this powder is not supposed to be very corrosive, I'm planning to go afield with a fouled barrel using the JSG.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any kind of heavy crud is unusual with APP or Gold sounds like the kind of chemical reaction tha cayuqad mentioned. Lee
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 PM

TriedJim Shockey's Gold today in my backup muzzleloader, an old CVA Staghorn. This gun is very accurate with the right loads. Started with 80 grains and the Hornady 240 grain XTP. Way off . Got it on targetbut two inches low. Picked the charge up to 90 grains and it is right in the two inch bullseye. Then tried 250 grain SST sabots. Shot to almost the same point of aim. Three shot groups were less than two inches with both bullets.

This gun is much easier to load than my Encore.

Used Windex with vinegar mixed with water so swab the bore. Felt nothing in the powder chamber area when I swabbed.Got home and cleaned the gun up in about ten minutes.This gun has a 209 breechplug that I put in it. 209 CVA inlines get a lot of blow by past the primer and a lot of crud in the receiver.Windex and vinegar took care of that.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 AM

That crude is common but is easily solved by changing yur primers to 209 remington clean shot. You will be able to load easily after 10 shots without cleaning. I did not see any difference in accurracy over the winchester primers.