Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can you sharpen old flints?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Can you sharpen old flints?

I use Arkansas flints with a bevel on both ends. Does anyone know if it is possible to re-sharpen them? I tried a grider and it won't touch it!

By the way, I have learned alot from you guys on this forum. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can you sharpen old flints?

Have you tried a dremel tool witha mizzy wheel. They will shape a flint. I used then to cut all the humpback off the bad flints so they were able to be used easier. I also used them to sharpen flints before I became somewhat good a knapping. Now I just knapp them as I go and when they are finally too small to work, I put them in a little can for some other use when I figure it out.

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&req uest_type=NONSSL&search_in_description=1&k eyword=mizzy
Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks cayugad. I'll try the dremmel tool. What is involved with knapping flints? Are they more reliable and is it worth the effort? I have been getting pretty consistent results with the ones I have.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

the poster Roundball really helped me, among others to learn the art of knapping. And believe me, I am still learning. As you're aware, you get a bigger longer shower of sparks from the sharp edge of the flint then a dull one. When you learn to knapp the edge back on the flint, it resultsin the increase of the life of the flint and also increase the effectivness of the flint.

You do not knapp agates by the way. At least I was told they could not be knapped, but with a dremel tool and a mizzy wheel you can shape them.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

I hear you guys talk about Mizzy wheels. I have a couple of dremel tools but the name evades me. Is it just a diamond wheel? I bought a pack of diamond wheels at Harbor Freight Tool and have not tried them on flints as yet. I bought some of the english flints and some do have a pretty big humpback.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure if the diamond wheel and the mizzy wheel are the same thing. I was given a link ages ago about a mizzy wheel for triming flints and have just bought them there. Perhaps someone else knows that answer.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Spike

MLKeith,
Here's a couple links that may help youout.
The diamond wheels come in different shapes and sizes.

Diamond Wheel
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-diamond-wheel-1/BDL34

Mizzy Wheel
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-stone-sic-wheel-1/BBA91
Old 11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, Blown Smoke: Nicely done! My diamond wheels that I got from Harbor Freight look like the Mizzy wheel in shape but are not a composition material which the Mizzy wheel looks like. Mine are a steel disk with diamond stuff stuck on it. I guess I will have to try them to see if they will work on the flints. If not this link will definately help.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason I was told to use the Mizzy wheel is they produce less heat that can cause the flint to become brittle and shatter then when actually used in the rifle.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Unmounted Wheel Silicon Carbide Grinding Stones for Dremel
Bulk Packaged 6pc 7/8 x 1/8 inch Mizzy Grey Heatless Wheel. Noncontaminating for
use with Dremel Rotary tools. Use with 1/16 inch Screw Mandrel which is not ...

www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-stone-sic-wheel-1
New Window·www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-stone-sic-wheel-1][/url]Similar Sites·Alexa Info·www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-stone-sic-wheel-1+Dremel+Mizzy+wheel&hl=en][/url]Cached·Archived