Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

question about black mag 3 and other powder

Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 PM

Default question about black mag 3 and other powder

i've been told that black mag 3 is as dirty as real black powder and also been told it is a clean powder to use. i know about both pyrodex and black powder and i have shot 777 pellets and got the crud ring in my omega. i have been told to use american powder or shockley's gold because it is easy to reload without running a patch down the barrel those of you who have experance with these different powders please give me some advice. i've always used real black powder in my renagade but am new to this 209 inline new gun stuff. any help i will be grateful. the season opens in 2 weeks so please help a dumb a$$. also is loose 777 better about the crud ring? or should i stick with the black powder?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: question about black mag 3 and other powder

ORIGINAL: rsr1950

i've been told that black mag 3 is as dirty as real black powder and also been told it is a clean powder to use. i know about both pyrodex and black powder and i have shot 777 pellets and got the crud ring in my omega. i have been told to use american powder or shockley's gold because it is easy to reload without running a patch down the barrel those of you who have experance with these different powders please give me some advice. i've always used real black powder in my renagade but am new to this 209 inline new gun stuff. any help i will be grateful. the season opens in 2 weeks so please help a dumb a$$. also is loose 777 better about the crud ring? or should i stick with the black powder?
There is no reason you could not use black powder in your inline rifle as well. You might have to swab the barrel between shots or every other shot, but that's one thing about inline rifles gun makers do not like to advertise in their sales pitch.

Black Mag 3 is a very clean powder. I shot that in a couple of my inlines and the trick is, do not swab betweeen shots. You can shoot all day if you want. I never had any problem loading shot after shot with BM3 and accuracy was very good. Also BM3 is powerful but the recoil is not as brutal as some of the other powders.

APP is another very clean powder to shoot as is Pinnacle. You might want to try them as well and see which ones your rifle likes the best. Also I shot Pinnacle out of my Renegade cap lock with excellent results...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugag,
Glad to hear BM3 is working for you. Based on my experience with it, I'm surprized you can load that many shots without swabbing. I've tried it in 2 different guns and quite honestly, I'm not impressed. I've tried it with bullets from the 460NE down to the 250SW. The larger conicals were very inconsistant, like 8 to 12 inch groups at 25 yards. The lighter bullets worked better but not as well as 777. When shooting the Shockwaves I could only load about 3 to 5 before having trouble seating the bullet, almost as bad as a 777 crud ring. On both rifles after shooting a round or two, I could see white streaks at various places in the bore where the fouling was adhearing to the bore. I may try what I have left in one of my round ball guns but I don't expect to be using it in my inlines any time soon. I found it about the same as 777 when cleaning the rifle also.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I really liked the BM3 in a couple of my rifles. The White Ultra Mag really seemed to get along with BM3. The only problem I had was the first shot would never hit where the next shots were hitting. So I tried a lot of things to try and change all of that. Granted the difference at 50 yards was not much, but I like them to shoot right where I aim. This was some of the groups I shot using a .504 diameter 460 grain pure lead conical. I was more then pleased, but again I had to fowl the barrel to make it work.

I then tried something others had talked about and that was seeing how the rifle behaved when you used Sheath in the barrel and did not remove it. Others have suggested bore butter for the same purpose.

Here I tested some different powders with Sheath as my buffer for the first shot. I cleaned the barrel between powder changes. I was kind of happy with some of the results.

Its just a shame I had shot off all my BM3. APP 3f and conicals just did not agree. The Triple Se7en 3f and Goex 3f really did well as usual. I am not really sold on the BM3 though. I can get just as good of accuracy out of different powders. And of course for a lot less money. Although BM3 has to be one of the easiest powders to clean out of a barrel. It's right up there with Pinnacle and APP. Clean and swabbing is all part of the sport of shooting. If I have to swab, then I have to swab. If I don't want to swab, all I have to do is hunt with the White and some conicals...

Old 11-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some nice groups. Many of them mirror groups I get at 100 yards using 777 2F and the 460NE. BM3 never came close to that with the heavier bullets in my guns. I may try out the 777 3F to see if it works in my guns. I've also thought about trying the APP powders but haven't had time to get any.I would like to get down to a single powder that works well in all my guns but for now I'm down to 2, Pyro P and 777 2F.

It's fun to try out different stuff and makes for a good excuse to go to the range and burn some time and powder. But then again, any excuse is a good one when it comes to shooting more.