Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Field Case

Old 10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Field Case

Fellow Posters, I am hoping to get some feed back from you on an idea of mine.

I do a bit of leather work and had an idea for what I am calling a field case.

The purpose would be to create a light weight rifle case that could be carried in the field, protect your rifle and still be easily removed and put in to a backpack.

The design I had in mind would incorporate the following:

1. It would be a soft leather bag that would wrap around the rifle, like a clamshell.

2. It would be stitched shut at the top to prevent rain and snowfrom entering the muzzle.

3. The seam would run along the top so that the "case" could be opened. The rifle could then be laid upon this to protect it from: snow, mud, rocks, etc.

4. The case would close with snaps. Sufficient space would exist for the rifle sling to pass through.

5. The leather would be sealed with a water proofing agent. It would be something that would not crack when the case was rolled up/stuffed in to a pack.

6. I would not use oil skin because dust, leaves, etc., would stick to the tacky oil.

7. There wouldn't be any padding. This would add unnecessary bulk. The case would be made up of two sheets of leather stiched together.

Again the purpose would be to protect the rifle (and the action) from the elements. Provide a surface to lay the rifle upon when needed. And enable you to carry the cased rifle with the sling over your shoulder.

Do you like the idea of this? Does it sound like something you might use?

Sorry I do not have any diagrams to post to help clarify. I just came up with this idea a couple of days ago-when sitting on a hilltop getting drizzled upon and quickly stripping off my shirt and stuffing the rifle down the sleeve to protect it from the rain.

Thanks all for your comments.

~Robert