Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Omega Beginner - Need Advice

Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 PM

Default T/C Omega Beginner - Need Advice

Just bought the T/C Omega & have been to the range twice now.
Im shootin triple 777 (2 pellets) w/ 223 grain powerbelt bullets.
(maybe thats the wrong grain bullet Etc.???)

My Problem:

At 25 yards i had no problem....was able to get 3 shots w/in 1 inch of the bullseye.

It seems about every 3 shots....& i would have to pull the breech plug out & clean the bore Etc for another round of 3 shots....is that average for muzzle loaders w/ 777???

Moved on to 100 yards w/ clean gun....first shot was off 2 1/2 inches & down 1 inch. few little adjustments & the next 2 shots were 4-5 inches off. Cleaned gun & the next 3 shots were the same 4-5 inches off...i was tring to adjust the sight but couldnt get it close...a little adjustment & it would be 4-5 inches off on the other side. Is that typical for muzzleloaders???

i guess i will go back this week & start over at 25 yards.

will 245 grain powerbelt bullets give me more or less accuracy???

the goal is to be close at the 200 yards. i tried the 200 yard target.....first 2 shots missed the whole target....the third hit the target...i aimed 6 inchs high & it hit 6 inchs low...thats 12 inchs....is that normal???? again..im really new at this & any info is appreciated.

Thanks for any advice!

Berkedfish
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Omega Beginner - Need Advice

If you're going to beshooting 200 yards, you must be using a scope. Also you might want to use a 250 grain Shockwave instead of a powerbelt. They do not cost as much, and will give you better long range accuracy most of the time. Also it seems most Omega shooters I read about seem to shoot the Shockwaves with excellent results.

Also before you twist your scope off make sure you are getting real tight groups with the projectile of choice. If it shoots a tight group at 25 yards, go back to 50 yards and see what it does there. Then move back to 100 yards. You might also want to make up a swabbing solution of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. Some use Windex instead of the car windsheld washer fluid. Swab the barrel between each shot when working up your load. It will give you better results. Dampen a patch and work it down the barrel in short strokes of 3-4 inches. Work down to the breech and then pull that patch, turn it over and work it down again. Then two dry patches. Save the dry patches to be used as your next wet patches. There is no reason to pull the breech plug when you swab the barrel.

Once you start getting a tight group at 100 yards, have the shots hit about three inches over the bull and then move back and see where they hit out at 200 yards. Be sure after you have the rifle sighted in the way you want, to shoot again at 50 and even 25 yards. It never fails, you are ready to shoot at 200 yards and the deer walks out to stand next to you.

I am sure an Omega owner will jump in here and help. Also you can search this forum for Omega and I am sure you will get a lot of posts with good information for you...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Thank You.....i will try the solution....yeah it gets tough pullin the breech plug every 3 shots....it was a long day at the range!

i will try the 250 shockwaves on thursday......should i keep the 2 pellets of 777 (100 grains)???

i was hoping to get it sighted in at 100 yards & aim 3-4 inchs high at the 200 yard target? not sure if that works or not?

it seems w/ that situation...i should be real close at 25 yards & 100 yards.....i still have to figure out the 50 yard shot.

Berkedfish
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 PM

I can't help you specifically with the Omega, but I have a new TC Firestorm & was getting unacceptable groups at even 50 yards. After trying many different loads without improvement, I finally asked an exerienced BP expert at a local club what was wrong. It turned out that my trigger pull was 8.5 pounds & very rough. For $45.00 I had a good local gunsmith reduce it to 3.5 pounds & it is very smooth. The smith said it should easily reduce the size of my groups by one-half. (The gunsmith at TC said he would adjust it for free under warranty, but there was a 6 week backup in the shop.) I have not been to the range yet, but I do expect much improved accuracy now. Long story short...check your trigger, it may need tuned up.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

200 yard shots are possible but not very easy to accomplish. Just trying to figure out how much to hold over for a shot like that is likely to become a full time job just to find a spot to aim at. I recommend that like Cayugad said spend some time at 25 yards and then 50. If you can still do a good job at 100 yards you are getting about all that can be expected from a muzzleloader in the hands of a relatively new shooter. I have been shooting my Omega for about three years and I do not try shots beyond 120 yards. I am sighted in about one inch high at 80 yards and I hold right on at any shot from 50 to 120 yards. The difference in vertical hit from 80 to 120 yards is less than how much I vary when I am really excited while hunting. I have shot some one inch groups at 100 yards and that is just to give me confidence in my rifle. I do not shoot that well all the time (especially when hunting).
Old 10-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,has it right, power belt type bullets and a lot of others are low in BC which affects accuracy as well as drop. With SW or SST or any of the ballisticlly designed newer bullets around 1 3/4 calibers long which is 200 gr in 40cal or 250 to 300 in 45 you should have better luck. As for the adjustment problem you did not give us much info could be a scope problem. As for pulling the breach plug every 3 shots not even 777 is that bad crud ring and all. you wipe between shots with a lightly dampend patgh and follow it with a dry one or try RS pyrodex with about 120 gr and work up and down[in 10 gr increments]to find what groups best; some have had good luck with APP FF which you dont need to clean until you go home. Although I did get a bad can of it.Lee
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Moved on to 100 yards w/ clean gun....first shot was off 2 1/2 inches & down 1 inch. few little adjustments & the next 2 shots were 4-5 inches off. Cleaned gun & the next 3 shots were the same 4-5 inches off...i was tring to adjust the sight but couldnt get it close...a little adjustment & it would be 4-5 inches off on the other side. Is that typical for muzzleloaders???

No. A rifled muzzleloader behaves just like any other rifle. It puts the bullets somewhere out there, hopefully in a reasonably small-size group, and you have to adjust your sights so that where they "look" coincides with the spot where the bullets are hitting. Sounds like the adjustments on your sight are perhapsa little too crude to allow you to split thedifference between where the bullets were hitting before and after you made the adjustments, OR you made too-big a change in the adjustments. (IF you are using a scope, and it is mounted correctly and all screws are tight, just adjust it according to the scope maker's instructions that came with the scope!)

I think you could just move your rear sight back in the direction you want the group to move, but only by half the distance you moved it when you changed it the first time. And you might consider moving your sighting-in target back in to 50 yards and leave it there until you get the sights adjusted to where your shotsare all hitting deadcenter of the bullseyefor windage and about 3" high for elevation. With such a setting, your bullet will be about right on at 100 yards.

I'd use the 295-grain Power Belt for deer hunting. I think the23-grainers are a tad on the light side for a .50 caliber...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 AM

i have a omega and just love it ,it shoots great. you should be using the shockwaves though they group alot better than the powerbelts.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: berkedfish

Just bought the T/C Omega & have been to the range twice now.
Im shootin triple 777 (2 pellets) w/ 223 grain powerbelt bullets.
(maybe thats the wrong grain bullet Etc.???)

My Problem:

At 25 yards i had no problem....was able to get 3 shots w/in 1 inch of the bullseye.

It seems about every 3 shots....& i would have to pull the breech plug out & clean the bore Etc for another round of 3 shots....is that average for muzzle loaders w/ 777???

i guess i will go back this week & start over at 25 yards.

will 245 grain powerbelt bullets give me more or less accuracy???

the goal is to be close at the 200 yards. i tried the 200 yard target.....first 2 shots missed the whole target....the third hit the target...i aimed 6 inchs high & it hit 6 inchs low...thats 12 inchs....is that normal???? again..im really new at this & any info is appreciated.

Thanks for any advice!

Berkedfish
You should consider not using a CVA gun bullet originally inyour new T/C gun -- instead first sight-in with a T/C bulletin yournew T/C gun.

But the best case-scenario would be purchasing two different T/C bullets. Make them different in design and grain size. That'll give you some tweaking room - just in case you first choice is not making the headway you want.

After you are sure that nothing is wrong with your new gun firing those T/C bullets & shot groups are respectable, then try other brands like Powerbelts.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure I made my point very clear. I think the problem with setting the sights might just be that the rifle is shooting all over the place. What I was suggesting is that the rifle be shot at relatively short range until a good group is consistent. Probably with the Omega Pyrodex and one of the T/C bullets would be the safest way to get pretty well documented accuracy and consistency. Once that is done then move the target out to other distances and work on sight adjustment. Moving the sights when the rifle is not shooting a consistent point of impact just does not work.