Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range question 50 cal.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Range question 50 cal.

Hi friends,
I finally got drawn to hunt my first BP hunt.It's 2 days. My hunt begins next Sat.I scouted today.
The range I shoot at is only 50 yds. I'm shooting in a 2inch circle shooting a 50 cal. 150 grains of pellets.{ 3 of them}

If my shot is 100yds will the round drop any?? The gun is a Conneticut Arms. Magnum load.
Thanks
C7
Here are my scouting pics. I'll be in a pine tree over looking the water area. What should be the longest shot I should take.I've got a range finder. The deer was shot today by a teenager. 50 cal. BP 2nd 8 point in 2 days.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Range question 50 cal.

chuck, what projectile are you shooting? Perhaps I could run the load through a ballistics calculator and give you some idea of bullet drop.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

All you need for 125 yard shots is two pellets Chuck. You really need to shoot the gun to get the correct ballistics at 100 yards & beyond. Every ML is a different character Chuck. The gun built immediately after yours - plus the one built immediately before yours may all shoot differently than yours. Powders afftect where the bullet travels - so do different lubes - so do different primers - so do different bore diameters - so do different bullets - so do different plastic sabots.

The only one that knows where your bullet hole will occur is your gun. You cannot find out where that bullet lands unless you are present to witness it's impact. This fine sport is alot more umpredictable than centerfire or shotgun world Chuck. You really need to build your own load.

Let us know how you make out. But if you are only pursuing shots out-to 100 yards, there's no need to punish yourself shooting those shoulder-brutal 3-pellet loads. You can knock-off one pellet & still have plenty of energy & speed to get the job done.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks fellows...

The bullets are called Power Belt Bullets.295 HP Copper Clad
The rifle is a Blackhorn Magnum with a Bushnell scope
The gun shop man told me to keep a oiled gun patch in teh muzzle all year to keep out moisture..which I have.
Thanks again,
C7
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That's a lot of powder you are putting under a Powerbelt. I shoot a CVA Staghorn Magnum which your rifle replaced. When I shoot a powerbelt I shoot 90 grains of loose powder. I would not even worry shooting a deer at 100 yards with that load.

If you're sighted in for only 50 yards, you can expect some definate drop in the powerbelt. Actually a trip to the range would be in order but 3 inches would not surprise me. I sight my scoped rifles in for 70 yards. That way they are a little over an inch high at 50 yards and almost 2 inches low at 100 yards. So it is a matter of what part of the kill zone I aim at. At 50 yards, I aim for the lower center and at 100 yards I aim above the center.

If you think there is a chance you might have to shoot out to 100 yards might I suggest a trip to the range and try some shots out that far. Again, 150 grains is a lot of powder.... Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks alot for the reply..I teach school so I'm at a loss at goingto a rangethis week. I should of checked with you guys earlier. There is a 100yd range but cost 10.00 The 50 yd range is only 5.00

I know you guys know much more than I do. I love the pellets because of their convience and perfect measurement. I would like to down grade though to two pellets {100 grains of powder} What sized Power Bullet would you recommend and up to 100 yds.
Thanks sir,
C7
Old 10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

2 pellets and the one your shooting should be fine for deer. Put that in the right spot and the powerbelt will do the rest. I shoot 90 grains of loose Goex 2f and a 245 grain Aero Tip. I can not report on how they bring deer down as so far no deer has been willing to be a test subject. I use a RED DOT scope on my CVA Staghorn Magnumrifle. Most my shots are 50 yards and under. So I sighted in at 50 yards with the RED DOT. With my scoped muzzleloaders I sight in for 70 yards and one I sight in 2" high at 100 yards. This is my hay field rifle during the modern season.

Two pellets and a 295 grain Powerbelt will get you 1555 fps. That's moving pretty good for a almost 300 grain projectile. I can't tell you want three pellets will give because it is not a recommend load. If your dead on at 50 yards, aim for the upper part of a deer's kill zone at 100 yards. The little drop should put it right at near center. It is a shame you can not get to a range to try them out before season. I have some ordered but they are not here yet. Or I would run one back to 100 yards just to see what it drops..... sorry I could not help more.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Two pellets and a 295 grain Powerbelt will get you 1555 fps. That's moving pretty good for a almost 300 grain projectile. I can't tell you want three pellets will give because it is not a recommend load.Wow I didn't know that.One of the Hunting.Net members gave me the rifle last year as a gift. That is what he shoots. His name is Strut. If your dead on at 50 yards, aim for the upper part of a deer's kill zone at 100 yards.Will do. and after the season I'll take your recomendations and shoot 100 grains. My shoulder is a thanking you. The little drop should put it right at near center. It is a shame you can not get to a range to try them out before season. School is a trip this year.. I have some ordered but they are not here yet. Or I would run one back to 100 yards just to see what it drops..... sorry I could not help more.

You have helped a ton. You folks on here are great.
Thanks,
C7

Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Just dropped in. Chuck - I'm always thinking about the ideal load, and more power more power... but I've found that a plain, modest load is lethal.

I've got a CVA buckhorn - same as yours? - and like it. Before loading to shoot, I run a couple dry patches through. I use 90gr pyrodex and a 240 XTP sabot; accurate and deadly on deer (three down and one got away, due to bad shot on my part). 295gr powerbelts grouped well in my old Staghorn, but they're expensive and balked at paying, hence my switch (and always looking for somthing else). The Powerbelts offer no substantial benefit over sabots, except being easier to load -and the sabot I use load just fine. In fact... for bullet weight, Powerbelts don't perform as well as XTP bullets, IMHO. But if you've already got them, they'll do.

See below - 240gr XTP recovered after going through shoulder & backbone at about fifty yards, and unfired version.

Good hunting!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Just dropped in. Chuck - I'm always thinking about the ideal load, and more power more power... but I've found that a plain, modest load is lethal. Sounds good ..save money and shouilder at the same time.

I've got a CVA buckhorn - same as yours? - and like it. Before loading to shoot, I run a couple dry patches through.thanks for the tip ..will do.Also is it really necessary to shoot a primer through it before hunting??I use 90gr pyrodex and a 240 XTP sabot; accurate and deadly on deer (three down and one got away, due to bad shot on my part). Very good man. This will be my 2nd hunt.with B.P.I did sit in a Missouri stand last year. I live in Florida. I took an 8 point with my 30-30. 295gr powerbelts grouped well in my old Staghorn, but they're expensive and balked at paying, hence my switch ...ok right now money is not a big problem so I stocked up on them and the pellets.I will change to 100 grain powder though after the weekend. Mine grouped very well too.(and always looking for somthing else). The Powerbelts offer no substantial benefit over sabots, except being easier to load -and the sabot I use load just fine. In fact... for bullet weight, Powerbelts don't perform as well as XTP bullets, IMHO. But if you've already got them, they'll do.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
c7
See below - 240gr XTP recovered after going through shoulder & backbone at about fifty years, and unfired version.

Good hunting!

Quick Reply: Range question 50 cal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.