Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore vs. Pro Hunter

Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Encore vs. Pro Hunter

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the site and looking for your info & input. I just sold my Omega to a friend of mine. The reason-not very accurate. Another friend of mine swear's by the Encore. I really like the look's of the new Pro Hunter. I read Chuck Hawk's review on the Pro Hunter & he didn't think it was much better than the original Encore. So, if anyone out there has any input i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Encore vs. Pro Hunter

The Pro Hunter is nice.. but I feel it's quite overpriced. They took the standard Encore.. and put an 28" fluted Omega barrel on it... added the speed breech, T-Handle ramrod, pivot hammer, Simms recoil pad, and some rubber on the stock.. and a couple hundred $$$. I personally don't feel it's worth the $$$ that they're asking for it.

Why couldn't you get your Omega to shoot?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I to am interested in why the Omega did not shoot. And I agree with KBacon on the over price bit,but I have shot one and they do lower the felt recoil a bunch. Lee
Old 10-28-2006, 08:51 PM

KBacon, I was unable to get it to pattern good. I tryed different powder's & sabot's Cleaned it after every shot. Had some buddies shoot it with the same results. Also checked the scope & it was good & tight.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

but I have shot one and they do lower the felt recoil a bunch. Lee
I wonder how much of the recoil reduction is in the stock.. and how much is in the $35 Limbsaver recoil pad?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

KBacon, I was unable to get it to pattern good. I tryed different powder's & sabot's Cleaned it after every shot. Had some buddies shoot it with the same results. Also checked the scope & it was good & tight.
Sorry to hear about that... but I hear that it does happen... could have beena number of things.. gun, scope, load, user?

But after it's all said and done... You have to have confidence in what you're shooting.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even the regular Omega with laminated wood stock exhibits lesser felt recoil. When I put a Sim's Pad on it last year, the felt recoil was reduced more.The best reason I can come up with is that the recoil push-back at ignitionis less &comes back to my shoulder straighter- versus the hollow syntheticstock version. Being the laminated gives it a better balance to begin with, it keeps the ML from jerking around some diagonally also.

Just my opinion after firing both design-styles many times.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Even the regular Omega with laminated wood stock exhibits lesser felt recoil. When I put a Sim's Pad on it last year, the felt recoil was reduced more.The best reason I can come up with is that the recoil push-back at ignitionis less &comes back to my shoulder straighter- versus the hollow syntheticstock version. Being the laminated gives it a better balance to begin with, it keeps the ML from jerking around some diagonally also.

Just my opinion after firing both design-styles many times.
Mine is also a laminated stock variety.. And the recoil isn't near as bad as those w/ the sythetic stocks. I always thought that it was more due to the heavier weight of the laminate... a little heavier to carry in the woods.. but less felt recoil.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I have had a problem a couple of times that I ended up resolving by putting on a new scope . Some just dont seem to hold up to muzzle loaders and if the gun is droped on the scope or banged hard enough so the barrel of the scope is bent it can induce a horrible amount of parallax.
NO PM[-] Lee