Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new omega powder recomendations

Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Default new omega powder recomendations

i just bought a new omega what would be the best propelant? does anyone still use black powder? also what about a crud ring i've heard about? i don't mind using something dirty because i know i'll have to clean it anyway.thanks for all reply's
Old 10-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new omega powder recomendations

I would not use 777 at least untill the gun is broke in.Yes some of us are still using black, some APP, Pyrodex is still the stand by that you can depend on Black Mag if you can get it.777 is the most corrosive then black and Pyrodex I clean imedately after using them I don,t worry as much about APP or Gold. Lee
Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
bigcountry

How in the world is 777 more corrosive? I haven't heard this one yet. Anyone?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

How in the world is 777 more corrosive? I haven't heard this one yet. Anyone?
It's not more corrosive B.C.Lee rips my posts - then talks garbage like this. Insane!

PM sent your way rsr1950.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:23 PM
bigcountry

I find it to be much less corrosive myself. I used to hate it when it first came out. fouled my nipples bad with No11's but with 209's no problem. I think I am hooked.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

How is 777 more corrosive???

Last time I checked... the crud ring doesn't cause corrosion?

But I don't even have a crud ring since I started using the 777 primers.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 PM

I use 90 grains of loose 777 fffg in my Omega. Works very well with a 250gr shockwave.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Some Omega rifles will shoot 777 with little problem. Others (like mine) absolutely will not shoot it without a severe crud ring. I have tried all the various fixes multiple ranges of primers, the .25ACP conversion and nothing gets rid of it. I can reduce it from totally awful to just irritating enough to restrict any chance of a second shot without scrubbing the bore (usually requires a brass brush to get it out). My Omega loves Black Mag'3. It is available factory direct and you can buy up to 96 pounds with one $20 hazmat fee. Try calling Magkor at 954-937-9188 or 407-682-4742. You may talk to Mike. If so you can refer to my name as the source of the contact. I do not work for them but have had close contact for the last couple of years since I found how great it was in my rifle. I have taken one elk so far and got drawn for muzzleloader elk again this year so BM3 will be in the rifle again. I can shoot several shots in a row with Black Mag'3 without as swab between and the accuracy is just great. I am shooting 90gr. BM3 with 300gr. bullets (various ones ) in Harvester sabots. 295gr. Powerbelts shoot great with this combination also. They impact within a half inch of the 300gr. sabots at 100 yards. My name by the way is Keith Lewis if that has not come up before. My email is [email protected] if anyone want to talk outside the forum.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

I got a crud ring with my 5 year old 209x50 ss with pyrodex pellets and 777 pellets untill I went to the Vera-flame 209 adapters . After I started using them no crud ring and no blowback with them either . I use 110 gr. 777 loose and either 200 or 250 gr. shockwave .
Chaz3815
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

i just bought a new omega what would be the best propelant?
I would start out shooting 777 2f and see how the rifle reacts. If you get a crud ring, a simple swabbing the barrel between shots is normally all it takes to clean it out. Although I admit, I like a powder I can shoot a couple times in a row without swabbing.

does anyone still use black powder?
On average about 25 pounds or more a year of Goex.. While black powder is "dirty" by some of the modern standards, it still produces the best shot to shot groups for me in 95% of my rifles. It has the lowest ignition point of all powders on the market, and when bought in bulk (other then Wal-Marts year end clearance sale on Pyrodex where I buy them out as well) is one of the most cost effective of all powders. Also a simple damp patch will remove the soft fowling left by Goex and I can find that due to the soft nature of the fowling I can load mulitaple shots without the need to swab. So yes, a lot of us still shoot black powder in the form of Goex, Swiss, KIK, and other brands.

also what about a crud ring i've heard about?
The crud ring you are hearing about is nothing more then a differnt form of fowling. All powders produce fowling. If they didn't why clean them. The difference is the degree of hardness in the fowling, the amount of fowling, and where the fowling is located in the barrel. 777's fowling can be any degree of hardness depending on the rifle used in. When there is a hard crud ring it is down in the breech right about where the bullet normally seats. When you run a damp patch down there, you will feel it. A little up and down action with the damp patch will normally remove the crud ring just fine. Powders such as APP, Pinnacle, and Black Mag3, while they leave a fowling it really is very light. I've shot over 20 shots without swabbing the barrel. When you swab it comes right out of the barrel with a damp patch. Very easy to clean. The black powders tend to fowl the entire length of the barrel with the majority near the breech. The fowling is soft and easy to remove, but it might take two patches to "really" clean all the fowling out. Although there are some rifles I can shoot countless shots using black powder and the fowling is not really an issue to me.

i don't mind using something dirty because i know i'll have to clean it anyway.
I could not agree more. You have to clean the rifle at the end of the day. If it takes me five minutes more because of the degree of fowling, ... so what.

Quick Reply: new omega powder recomendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.