Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning question

Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default cleaning question

It's my first year of BP and I bought a used LK98 Knight 50 cal. I shot it and zeroed in the scope last week using APP powder for the first time. After about 10 shots or so it started some blow back. Not bad but is this normal. I wasn't swabing between shots, just shooting it. I didn't have time, cause of work, to clean the gun so now, do I shoot it one more time to clear out some fouling and then clean it or what? I know I should have cleaned it asap, but couldn't then and forgot about it a few days later. I'm not used to BP yet so I'm kinda dumb here. LOL. It has the red 209 jackets so I don't know how the blow back got by. Any help would be appreciated.
BBO
Old 10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cleaning question

I personally have never heard of the Knight LK-98. Of course that does not mean it does not exhist. I have a Knight LK-93 II which is the older model. I will guess that your rifle is like a Wolverine LK-93 that uses the red 209 primer holder.

What you need to do is break that rifle down and clean it. Take the breech plug out, and clean it free of fowling. Be sure and clean the barrel ASAP. Although APP is a forgiving powder, all of these powders will rust your rifle sooner or later. So clean them ASAP after shooting.

Take the barrel out of the stock by removing the locking lug screw on the bottom of the rifle. Then pull the back part of the rifle out. If you have a manual it will give you detail on how to break the rifle down. But you do need to get that thing apart, clean it will, re-grease the breech plug and then assemble the rifle clean with a nice coat of oil in the barrel. Then before you shoot, simply run a patch with alcohol down the barrel to remove the oil, a dry patch or two, pop a couple 209 primers to clear the breech and then load as normal.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for replying Cayuqad. Accually, it is a LK 93. The 98 thingy was a typo, saw it after I posted. Anyway, the barrel says MML INC LK 93. I'm sure it's an old model and very inexpensive. Thanks for the cleaning method. I'll do it tomorrow morning for sure. And I don't have a manual with it so thanks for telling be how to take the gun apart. Also, can you tell me anything about that blow back I stated in my post before? Thanks again.
BBO
Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Because it is an open breech design your never going to totally get away from the blow back. The rifle was originally made to shoot #11 caps. Then it sounds like the different ignition system was installed. The LK-93 is a Wolverine. It might not be the top of the line but it is a meat and potatoes rifle and they are good shooters.

Also you have a Timney trigger on that rifle. When you clean the rifle, there is one screw holding that trigger assembly on the bottom of the rifle. Take that assembly off (don't loose the screw) after you have pulled the back end cocking mechanism out of the rifle. Then get some brake cleaner. Take that outside and spray all the fowling out of it with the brake cleaner. If you don't, eventually it will seize up and you will not be able to pull the back cocking lever open. Spray it off nice and clean, shake it a few times. It will be real cold from the spray. Then I like to take a little gun oil and puta drop on the top where the lever sticks up through it, and on the side where the spring is located.. it will keep the trigger nice and smooth and crisp and make the rifle function real nice.

When you break the rifle down its, remove cocking mechanism, take trigger off, then pull the breech plug. And it goes back together just the other way.

Call Knight rifle and they will send you a manual for the rifle.