Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Change of tune today.....

Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Change of tune today.....

I've always thought muzzle loading was a joke. The only experience I've ever had is w/ my dad's old hammer lock.

Went w/ a co-worker to zero his new Traditions .50 cal. (in line) today. I was AMAZED!!! That thing is nice. Kicks considerably less than my Savage .270. I have seen the light now to say the least.

Anyway, my dad has been on me to get a new ML. He's even offered to buy me one, and I turned it down. (See 1st comment above as to why) Now, I'm thinking of taking him up on it. My tune of MLs has changed. I was looking at a CVA Optima a while ago. .50 cal, camo for $329 Black only is $269. (also,.50 cal.) What do ya'll think of this gun? Anyone using it? I like the action better on the CVA than my buddies Traditions BTW. It's easier to break open, cock the hammer IMO. And, I like the stock/grip better on the CVA.

Any advice?

THANKS!

BM
Old 10-24-2006, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Change of tune today.....

I think CVA makes great guns. Their affordable and when taken appart and compared to other m/l's, they're built very well also. The only issue with this gun is the barrels are made in Spain and they have to pass through a proofing house before leaving the country and they're only tested up to 7000kpsi. This is just a standard all barrels must pass through to leave the country. That's all.Many poeple think they're not strong enough for magnum charges. This is not true because I have shot mine with magnum loads with no problems. So long as you follow the instructions that come w/ the gun you won't have any problems. The choice is yours, but if you take everyone else's advice on this brand you'll hear alot of mixed results. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Ok, thanks!

I've really turned over a new leaf here. Maybe adding it to the "cabinet" soon. Any advice on a scope for it? I already a Bushnell 3-9x40 on my .270. I like it pretty good. Love my Wind River binos too. The guy selling it has some good prices on BSA.

Is there anything particular to a "muzzle loader scope"? Or, will most any scope do fine? I don't want to buy into a lot of hype.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BillyMack

Anyway, my dad has been on me to get a new ML. He's even offered to buy me one, and I turned it down. (See 1st comment above as to why) Now, I'm thinking of taking him up on it. My tune of MLs has changed. I was looking at a CVA Optima a while ago. .50 cal, camo for $329 Black only is $269. (also,.50 cal.) What do ya'll think of this gun? Anyone using it? I like the action better on the CVA than my buddies Traditions BTW. It's easier to break open, cock the hammer IMO. And, I like the stock/grip better on the CVA.
PM sent your way!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend an Omega. Here is one in your price range. Won't have to ever worry about how it handles magnum charges, and the service department is second to none.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012644215905a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=20&noImage=0&Ntt=thomp son+center+muzzleloaders&Ntk=Products&Quer yText=thompson+center+muzzleloaders&Ntx=matcha ll&N=4887&Nty=1
Old 10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

For that kind of money, unless you have your heart set on a Optima, I too would suggest a Omega instead of a Optima. This is just my personal opinion. If you want the Optima, then by all means get it.

As for the scope, you could do a lot worse then another Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn. I like the scope to have at least 4" eye relief and quick release mounts. Again, that's a personal preference. Another good scope is the Nikon Pro Sport in 2-7x32mm.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Ive seen the optimas at dicks sporting goods and its a very solid built rifle. I forget if they come available with SS barrels but if not, the winchester apex is something to look into. That optima will handle the 150 grain mag charges easily. Ive owned a few cva's but sold them all when i bought my winchester " CVA,WINCHESTER = BPI" The only thing cva advises is not to shoot a bullet over 348 grains with a 150 grain mag load. Which i can easily understand, it kicks like a mule with 150 gns powder and a 295 grain powerbelt. 120 grains pyrodex RS usually works perfectly with a 245/295 grain powerbelt. Check out the thread here thats asking what everyone shoots and you'll see A LOT of cva's over any other brand. Keep us up to date on what you buy!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I may be selling my new Optima Pro. My wife just found out she will be losing her job after the first of next year. Email sent to BM.

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 AM
bigcountry

One thing about Muzzeloaders is they don't hold thier value. Especially all those ones that are limited to 100gr of pyrodex just a short few years ago. You ought to consider a used one too. Everybody wants 150gr capable but rarely can find a accurate load for it. It took me over 250 shots to find an accurate load/gun for >2000fps 250gr load. Right now, my friend has a remington stainless ML with camo stock, he can't give away. Its only 6 years old, but only handles up to 110gr of ffg. And I don't understand that.

If you want to have some fun, and love tradition (sortof), look at a good T/C hawken or a lymans great plains. I love mine. I use it for all short range hunting and use others from 150yard swamp hunting or in the rain.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

A number of years ago I introduced a friend of mine to the sport of black powder hunting. After he ordered the cva rifle he told me he thought about sending it back because of in his words he never owned a gun you had to give a bath after shooting it. His eyes may have been dim with age but with open sights he could out shoot me at 100 yards. God only gave us a couple of years to hunt together after this but that last year together he shot a nice fat doe. thirty minutes after I heard him shoot I took a nice yearling buck. God called my friend home that next year and I still miss him. I still retain the memory of that last hunt together. As every true hunter knows the hunt is not always about the kill but about spending time with friends and enjoying Gods creation.

Billy Mack you took me back to those fond memories of time spent with a great friend. As you enter this great sport may God bless you with many fond memories afield. To all the other great guys on this forum as a new member I wanted to share this as well.

WV Mountaineer

Quick Reply: Change of tune today.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.