Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Change of tune today.....

Old 10-25-2006, 09:25 AM

Default RE: Change of tune today.....

ORIGINAL: WV Mountaineer

A number of years ago I introduced a friend of mine to the sport of black powder hunting. After he ordered the cva rifle he told me he thought about sending it back because of in his words he never owned a gun you had to give a bath after shooting it. His eyes may have been dim with age but with open sights he could out shoot me at 100 yards. God only gave us a couple of years to hunt together after this but that last year together he shot a nice fat doe. thirty minutes after I heard him shoot I took a nice yearling buck. God called my friend home that next year and I still miss him. I still retain the memory of that last hunt together. As every true hunter knows the hunt is not always about the kill but about spending time with friends and enjoying Gods creation.

Billy Mack you took me back to those fond memories of time spent with a great friend. As you enter this great sport may God bless you with many fond memories afield. To all the other great guys on this forum as a new member I wanted to share this as well.

WV Mountaineer
"He" works in mysterious ways doesn't He?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Good for you, BillyMack. Get a muzzleloader. Lots of good choices out there. Here's thought: the 80/20 rule certainly applies in muzzleloading. 'high-performance muzzleloading' is all the rage, but you if you're hunting in the woods, don't bother. A 90-100gr load of loose powder and a 240-300gr sabot will kill deer very dead out to over 100 yards, just fine.

I think the Omege is very cool; almost bought one. Knights are good, and the Savage ML is tops. If you want to go lowball - you can get a cheap CVA Buckhorn for under $100 that will shoot very well... several here have them (or previous version, the Staghorn). So, for very little money, you'll be as well gunned in the woods as spending four times as much.

visited your linked webpage, plugged in prayer request.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks CM! They will be remebered.

I've had it on my mind all day. Dad helped me skin out a doe a while ago and we "talked" some more about it. Still leaving my options open, but I really liked the CVA Optima. It just feels good/comfortable.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 PM

Well, I'm now the proud new owner of a CVA Optima .50 cal. Went by the shop to look at it again, and lo and behold, daddy was in there. The guy was mounting my Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 on it when I walked in. Daddy was a little disappointed I ruined his surprise but oh well. I honestly was shocked. He (daddy) had some extra work fall through, but he said he really wanted me to have it. BTW, my "little" 17 year old bro. chipped in some $$ on it too! I'm not sure if it's the Optima Pro or not, but it has the nickel fluted barrel and is camo. It's beautiful!!!!!

I am so blessed!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys! Also, he got me some 777 pellets and 250 grn TC Shockwaves. And some other little "goodies"! [8D]