Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Mag 3 testing

Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Black Mag 3 testing

I was kind of thinking the same way, then a shell could be made to protect the actual machine from all the powder and what if that might fly its way. Maybe in the long run the extra $10.00 is a good inventment. You don't need to be playing with scopes to get velocity readings and at the same time protect the screen. Thanks MLKeith... sounds like a plan to me.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just in passing mention,mine is mounted on a steel platewith two vertical steel rods screwed into the plate in front of it on each side, there is a steel plate about 1/8 inch thick with two eyes on each side which slides up when I pull a string and back down when I release it; the sabots bounce right off when they hit it .
I think its a good idea to have some sort of protector in front of it weather or not you have a remote read out model. Lee
Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree Lee. On a different forum they showed a case with a plexiglass window a person made to protect theirs from the sabots and powder. I think that would really make a difference in them. Steel plates... I like that kind of thinking..
Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default site posting length

How come all of a sudden the posts are way wider than my screen? I have to scroll over to read all the post. It seems that this just happened. Is there a way I can set the site to make the posts less wide? I am not all that computer sharp so maybe I just am overlooking some setting I can do to fix this. Page 4 seems to be OK, it is page 3 that has the problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: site posting length

Because Sabotloader put a hyper link in his post that was a monster long one that extended the size of the viewing window. As to what can be done about it... scroll the screen I guess. This page does not have that of course.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I tried BM3 again yesterday. I shot it this time without swabbing in between shots. Your correct about how easy it is to load with a dirty barrel. I shot 10 times without swabbing and the 10th one loaded just as easy as the first. I guess my Omega dosen't like it as well as 777. I got better groups than when I shot it swabbing between shots but not real good ones. It seemed to keep shooting higher with each shot( wasn't heat because I shot 777 later and it didn" do it). I didn't try different bullets because I wan't to shoot TMZs, maybe I will try again another time, when it's not so close to hunting season.
I did find a great shooting combo using 777 and TMZs. I shot a one ragged hole, 3 shotgroup, measuring 1/2 inch center to center, at 50 yds. I used 120grs of 2f 777 and a Barnes 290 gr TMZ. I can barely get the yellow sabots down the barrel so I came up with a combo that works great. I use a HPH24 sabot with a HPM sub-base. This loads just right and using Win 777 primers I get nearly no crud ring so a second shot without swabbing is no problem. The dirty barrel shot was abot 1 inch higher, but I can live with that. I tried 3f 777 and the groups were not nearly as good. It was only in the upper 20s when I shot so this will be my deer load.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I was finding BM3 shot different depending on what rifle I shot it out of. So your results confirm mine somewhat. The best thing is you have a set working load that you know will work and take care of business for you. If I had a load that shot as well as you describe, there would be no reason to look further. Good luck hunting this year.. It is fun to experiment though..