Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder questions

Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Powder questions

I started off the blackpowder game with 777. I really hate the crud ring from 777. My question is there a powder that has good performance without that crud ring. I currently shoot 95 grains of 777 behind the 375 buffallo sabot. Now that season is over I am looking at options.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Powder questions

Depends on what rifle you are using to some extent. Black Mag'3 works great in my Omega and a lot of other Omega rifle owners have the same experience. Even Toby Bridges now is saying it performs as well as Tripple Seven and does not have the crud ring. Big problem is that they deal dealer direct so your dealer has to order a case or you have to order some and pay the haz mat fees. I have talked with them and they have the powder just have had bad experiences with distributors. Maybe one of the other ascorbic acid powders might also work for you . You could try American Pioneer or Goex Pinnacle. You should probably try to find the fffg versions as ffg is quite coarse.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stratofisher1

I started off the blackpowder game with 777. I really hate the crud ring from 777. My question is there a powder that has good performance without that crud ring. I currently shoot 95 grains of 777 behind the 375 buffallo sabot. Now that season is over I am looking at options.
PM sent your way!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

stratofisher1 - any info not good enough to be offered other then thru a PM should be taken with a grain of salt.

MLKeith'sresponse is very good info - and will stand public scrutiny.

Also, what gun and ignition system are you using? T7 crude varies among manufacturers and ignitions.

Steve
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're not afraid of fowling and a little more cleaning, its hard to beat good old Pyrodex and Goex. You could try them in 2f &3f grade and they might work just fine. While you might have to vary the charge to get the same effect as your Triple Se7en, now that season is over, it would be a lot of fun to just try. I think too many people avoid these powders because of fowling. I figure I have to clean my rifle anyway, and I like the performance I get from them.