Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cream of wheat

Old 10-21-2006, 03:33 PM

Default cream of wheat

has anyone on here ever used cream of wheat between there powder and ball on a traditional muzzleloader. dont ask me why, but a place where i worked had a muzzleloading club. I was talking to one of the older guys in it and he told me it would tighten the groups on my muzzleloader and i tried it, and it worked. just curious if anyone on here has ever experimented with it. if your wondering what i shot. it was a 90 grain charge of 2f goex and 30 grains of cream of wheat. (it did kick a little more) dem
Old 10-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cream of wheat

I use corn meal. Never did like Cream of Wheat's ever since my mother forced me to eat it as a child. All kidding aside, some rifles will do real well with a filler like cream of wheat's or corn meal. Other times it will not make a difference or actually make things worse. All you can do is try it.

In my White Ultra Mag this summer I was doing some testing, shooting 70 grains of powder, 20 grains of corn meal (the fine ground Quaker brand) and then a conical. It did improve the over all size of the group but not by enough I decided to constitute me taking the time to do this extra time consuming step.

Now that is not the end of it. This August, I also shot some corn meal in my .58 caliber shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f, 20 grains of corn meal and a patched round ball. At 50 yards it shot an outstanding group. In fact it did increase the overall accuracy.

So while many people do not use the fillers, others have gotten some excellent results with it. Also you might be called a cereal killer, but that's the burden we bare...
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

cornmeal can make a difference in the over all group size. The one in the actual bulls eye was caused by me purposely changing my POI to put it there. I just got tired of poking the hole. Actually I had a set sight picture I just kept holding and did not worry about the fact it was hitting low and a little to the right.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: dem4570

has anyone on here ever used cream of wheat between there powder and ball on a traditional muzzleloader. dont ask me why, but a place where i worked had a muzzleloading club. I was talking to one of the older guys in it and he told me it would tighten the groups on my muzzleloader and i tried it, and it worked. just curious if anyone on here has ever experimented with it. if your wondering what i shot. it was a 90 grain charge of 2f goex and 30 grains of cream of wheat. (it did kick a little more) dem
FYI...Oxyoke prelubed Wonderwads are outstanding for this purpose and is what they were designed for...I use them in all my hunting power level rifle loads (don't need them for target loads).

Cost a few bucks for a bag of 100, but IMO well worth it compared to fooling around measuring and pouring fillers/buffers into a muzzleloader.

PS: A good rule of thumb is: "What didDaniel do?"
Old 10-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dem4570

has anyone on here ever used cream of wheat between there powder and ball on a traditional muzzleloader. dont ask me why, but a place where i worked had a muzzleloading club. I was talking to one of the older guys in it and he told me it would tighten the groups on my muzzleloader and i tried it, and it worked. just curious if anyone on here has ever experimented with it. if your wondering what i shot. it was a 90 grain charge of 2f goex and 30 grains of cream of wheat. (it did kick a little more) Dem
Dem, the only time I use Cream of Wheat is when I'm loading the Rem 1856 BP .44 Mag revolver. I use it to keep the bullet even with the cylinder. NO bullet jumping into the barrel. Powder, Wad, Premeasured amount of Cream Of Wheat and ball. I also spread Bore Butter over the Balls and scrape off even over the balls with a popsicle stick.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Rebel Hog has it. My uncle does civil war re-enactments and he has several 44 revolvers and said he uses cream of wheat to prevent chain fires. Put in the powder, ball and top off with cream of wheat. If you are real hungry you could always eat the cream of wheat if trapped in the wilderness. I've never heard of it in rifles. All you can do is experiment after all that's what our sport is no matter what you shoot.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used it and cornmeal too in a PRB bench gun and in my Hawken when hunting bear or elk with a max load it keeps from blowing the patch and shoots with the accuracy of a target load;I also use cream of wheat in my revolver for compitition.Lee