Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pellets

Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Pellets

Ok I am considering becoming more modernized. Please tell me the pros and cons of using the pellets vs pyrodex. I am currently shooting 100 gr of pyrodex and a 260 gr sabot in my remington .50 cal.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pellets

SH1, I'm using (1) 50gr pellet and (1) 30gr pellet or (3) 30gr pelletsand XTP 240gr in a Knight Wolverine. Got the hang of no loose powder measuring and using speed loaders for pellet and sabot

Pyrodex Pellets
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Pro - pre measured. perhaps faster loading (although that could be argued)

Cons - expensive higher cost per shot, pre measured so there is only set combinations of charges, harder to ignite so be sure and use a good 209 primer, must have special containers to carry in the field. Loose powder can be carried by horn or simple containers in bulk.

If your getting good results with loose powder, why change? Although it is fun to experiment.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 PM

cayugad- just hought it was time for a change. I am still shooting the Remington 700ml with #11 percussion caps. I guess you are correct in that if "its not broken then why fix it".

I had to buy a new powdr measure today and was thinking about it.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Serioushunter1

Ok I am considering becoming more modernized. Please tell me the pros and cons of using the pellets vs pyrodex. I am currently shooting 100 gr of pyrodex and a 260 gr sabot in my remington .50 cal.
PM sent your way!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Serioushunter1

I have two Rem's - great guns... but using a #11 cap with pellets in cold coldweather might be a bit risky, although the pyro pellets have a bit of real BP on the bottom of them.

I believe pellets may be the way to go if you are just beginning or do not shoot very much. If you are a shooter, shooting pellets could get awful expensive.

If you are shooting loose now and comfortable - I would suggest staying with loose. I shoot loose t7 and would not even think of shooting pellets any longer.

good luck and have fun...

Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I did not realize your rifle was shooting #11 caps. Is it even recommended for pellets and #11 caps to be used in conjunction with each other? I personally would not shoot pellets and use a #11 cap as an ignition. I base this on shooting pellets one damp drizzle typeafternoon using Remington Kleenbore Primers in my Black Diamond XR. While the primers did set the pellets off, there was a little bit of, for better words, hesitation. I switched primers to the Winchester W209 and all of that went away. I would not have even thought of using a #11 cap under those circumstances.

The only way I would even consider pellets with a #11 cap is if I duplex loaded 5 grains of Goex 4f first. I would want that down in the breech so that the #11 spark would get positive ignition on the Goex which in turn should fire the pellets.

And you're right, it is a lot of fun to experiment.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 AM

If you are shooting a Remington 700ML you will need a 209 primer conversion to reliably ignite pellets.The Remington conversion is often available on eBay for around $50 although it has been discontinued by Remington.Or you can purchase the Canadian made conversion from Cabelas for $42.It is easier to remove the fired primers from the Cabelas conversion than it is from the Remington conversion.The nipple on the Remington conversion uses a small circular spring that can be easily lost if you are not careful removing fired primers.Without it the primers canback out enough to cause a misfire.I prefer the Cabelas conversion.I have had good luck with the Winchester 777 primers(1st choice) and the Remington Kleanbore muzzleloader primers(2nd choice).
Old 10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

# 11 caps are kind of chancy unless you put about 15gr. of FFF OR FFFF black powder next to the nipple before
loading some thing harder to ignite. There are a couple of friends of minewho have been doing this for years for hunting with no problems. Lee