Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 shooter info needed

Old 10-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Default .45 shooter info needed

I'm one of those who bought a .45 a few years ago (CVA Magbolt - 1:28). I wish I had a .50. But I don't and can't buy one now.

Occasionally, I like to check on this board and see what's working for other .45 shooters. I've shot PR 240gr QT's, 200gr SSTs and 275gr Power Belts. I've only hunted with the QT's and they have killed a few, small deer for me. The SSTs and QT's grouped virtually the same (50yds). The PBs were not as good. I hunted with the QT's only because they were heavier than the SST.

I'd love to hear opinions, facts, advice, etc. regarding who's shooting what and how it works. I'm particullarly interested in killing performance on whitetails with 200gr or less bullets. 200gr SST, 195gr Dead Center, 195gr Expander. Iknow lighter should equal faster and flatter. But if it's faster and flatter and the deer is still running, it's no good. Also, it would be very rare for me to have a shot over 100yds.

I've heard good things about the 225 Power Belts. Is there any difference in performance between hollow point and Aerotip?

Ok, I'll stop now. Sorry to be so wordy.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .45 shooter info needed

Due to their low sectional density, I consider any .45 cal. bullet under 200 grains to be unsuitable for deer or anything larger. In my fast-twist .45's, for deer I am now shooting the Lyman .457122HP, 330-grain Gould cast pure lead bullet UNLUBRICATED and100 grains of FFFg or Pyrodex P, with a Wonder Wad on top of the powder charge. The Wonder Wad provides the lubrication. I size the bullets .002 under land diameter for a sliding fit, similar to a Power Belt, but WITHOUT the Power Belt plastic wad that MUST FALL OFF QUICKLY TO GIVE YOU ACCURACY. I have found that since CVA started marketing Power Belts, the plastic wads don't come off reliably any more, (they used to!) and this accounts for their mediocre accuracy these days.

The .457122HP is a great deer bullet, but too light and too quick-opening for elk or moose. For these I use a Lyman 400-grain solid cast plain-base flatnose bullet, also sized for a tight sliding fit in the bore. Both of these bullets duplicate .45/70 performance with proper powder charges. This is plenty of power for North American game - you don't need a .50, unless the law requires one.....
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with eldequello that you'd probably be better off to go a little heavier than lighter - especially since you expect most shots under 100 yards.
Any of the pure lead conicals made by various manufacturers willhave much more energy at the deer than lighter projectiles.
With CF rifles, the idea of getting muzzle velocities OVER 2600 fps is sometimes a goal, since that's where the "hydraulic shock" effect becomes a factor (fast, small bullet equals "explosive" effect on the animal). But with most ML's, you're not likely to approach that speed anyway, so what you want is the bullet and load that will give you the combination of good accuracy and the most amount of energy at 75-100 yards, or whatever average distance you expect to shoot at game.
Your local gun store should have a good selection of bullets for your .45. If not, you can get some through Cabela's or MidSouth Shooters Supply or other catalogues.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been interested in conicals. I just know nothing about them. I have a few more questions. How difficult are they to load, especially after a few shots? I guess that's gonna depend on the bullet. It would drive me nuts to have to completely clean my barrel after every couple of shots. I noticed that Midsouth has the Hornady HB HP pre-lubed conical. The .45 is 285gr. Would that be a good choice?TC Maxi-balls are only 240gr. How does the accuracy of conicals compare to Sabots/PBs, under 100yds? If I try a pre-lubed conical, do I need a wad or patch? Does the lead expand to form a gas seal? Is leading, in the barrel, a problem with pre-lubed conicals. What range do I need to be in with my powder (777 fffg)...80-100gr?

Sorry for all the questions. This is all really new to me. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodconicals are incredibly accurate, easy to load by most any comparison (especially to most anything wearing a sabot), and possess large amounts of energy with lesser charges of powder. You might contact Bull Shop ([email protected])and see if he has the Lee 457-340 mold. I would bet he has the mold. You would needspecify pure lead and #2 lube. That bullet when sized to your bore's land-to-land has done very well for me in both 1:28 and 1:30 inch .45 barrels. You would need to KNOW your bore's true dimensions before ordering though. His prices are great!

Check your owner's manual for conical load restrictions, but I think that particular bullet would fit the bill. Set one of those, properly sized, atop about 75 grains of powder (good general starting point for load development in my experience) and have fun. Not every rifle barrel is good with conicals but it sounds like yours might be.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am by far no expert when it comes to BP, but I have the same rifle that you have.

I can't vouche for a good grain bullet because I have yet to have the chance to test the ones that I am currently using. I tried to use Powerbelts when I first got the rifle, but I never got good groupings with them. Didn't matter if they were the aerotip or the hollowpoint style.

I am now shooting 200gr. T/C Sockwave and have had great success on the range as far as groups and accuracy. Like I said, my choice was limited at the local stores, so I am going to try the 200gr for now.

I also agree that buying the .45 may not have been the best idea when I bought the rifle, but then again, its still a lot of fun to shoot.