Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega/Encore Breech Plug Gas Leakage

Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Omega/Encore Breech Plug Gas Leakage

Fellow Omega owners, I read this article http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/industry.html about the Encore/Omega breech plugs developing gas leaks from Toby Bridges NAMHA site. I inspected my Omega breech plug and sure enough, it looks like my breech plug has some deformation around the ignition entrance hole. Here is a pic of the breech plug.

What do you think? Should I be concerned? I have probably shot the Omega less than thirty times. Is this Toby guy for real or is he just trying to sell sponsor product? Should I call TC and ask them for a new plug?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega/Encore Breech Plug Gas Leakage

PM sent your way!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Got it. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! You just shoot your gun a lot it looks like. Any gas coming back would be very minimume from the looks of that plug. Buy a new one if you are scared about it. I use the same one I have had in my Encore since I bought it and I bought it the first year they were in production.

Like any rifle you get some gas blowback including centerfire bolt guns, autoloaders and every other type of gun I have shot. I just clean the whole gun anyways no matter what I shoot.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

The Omega is brand new. I got it at the end of last season. I have onlyshot about thirty rounds out of it! That is why I am concerned.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:54 AM

man that sucks... The breech plug anyways.. 30 rounds and the bolt head is already rounding off! They should have used a slotted breech plug. After working on cars and motors for years, I wouldnt touch a gun with a breech plug like that. Man thats a dumb design.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

The bolt head is not rounding off if you look at it again you will see that it starts round and graduates to the hex head a normal design for stuff that gets dirty so you can line up the wrench without buggering the threads. The thing I noticed and find no explanation for is why the touchhole is so beat up almost like someone took a screwdriver to it. I have about 1000 shots through the plug on my Encore and it looks better than that one.

As far as it being a dumb design you can use a standard ratchet and socket combination to remove the thing so there is no excuse for what we are looking at in the picture.

I don't know how you guys beat up your equipment so. I am still using the origional nipple that came on my Scout in the early 90's.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pittsburghunter

I agree with you PBH, I really like the head design, I use to have slotted breech plugs - I really do not like them. I just looked at my breech plug in my Omega I am hunting with it at the current time- I know I have close to 500 rounds through mine and at the moment it is a but dirty but the is no sign of the damage I am seeing on Toby's site. I am really wondering what the other end of those plug looks like.

In the picture supplied with this thread and just out of curiosity, what is the copper line across the face and down the threads - it must just be a reflection - I hope..

And it might be rounding a little bit at the corners of the hex head- but what tool has been used to remove it and how much pressure has been exerted on it.

I really can not tell from the pic in this thread a lot about this particular plug - the ones on Toby's sight are terrible - what is their history I do not know.

Well anyway I am not concerned about my Omega at this time...

Hope someone gets to the bottom of this...

Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

The copper colored lines are a reflection. The only thing I have used to clean the back of it is a copper bore brush and Q-tips. The question is, should I be concerned about the slight wear on the flash hole. I have cleaned the breach plug to my Knight Bighorn the same way and it shows no such wear. I am going to call TC this week and ask them about it. Maybe they will send me a new one. I was considering converting to the Variflame system. I have been shooting an AccuraShot nipple on my TC Renegade for about eight years with excellent accuracy and never a missfire. I use the small pistol primers with the AccuraShot system and really like them.

As for the removal tool, I use the tool that was supplied with the Omega or a socket.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

What have you been using for primers? I nave only used the Winchester ones and I have over 1000 shots on my plug and it looks way better than yours.

Quick Reply: Omega/Encore Breech Plug Gas Leakage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.