Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Erratic powder

Old 10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Erratic powder

Got a can of APP FF that shoots all over the place,tried every thing else before I realized what was wrong. tried a new can and some pyrodex and they both sucked up into some tight little groups; I hope we don't see to much of this kind of thing.Lee
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Erratic powder

Sounds like quality control issues or old powder. I never had much luck with APP's previous incarnation Clean shot. It did the almost exact same thing. Talking to a company rep at the time I found out that clean shot was bad about it.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

it was a new jug of powder only weeks old and I had been having ragged holes @100yd when I started using this new jug they started shooting all over a large target,when I pinned down what was wrong it shocked me. Lee
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

it was a new jug of powder only weeks old and I had been having ragged holes @100yd when I started using this new jug they started shooting all over a large target,when I pinned down what was wrong it shocked me. Lee
That is EXACTLY what happened to me. First it's good and I hunt with it only to wound and lose a deer. I spend most of the night looking for it too.[:@]What was worse it was a really nice buck.I gave up the next morning to see what was wrong. It was shooting everywhere. The next season I hunted in a rainstorm and the powder got contaminated. I misfired on a forkhorn. Primer went off but the powder didn't. I never did hunt with that gun again as it had too many bad memories.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I have been shooting off two pounds of American Pioneer 3f and I want to go on record, I am not impressed with the accuracy it has displayed so far. I have a few more rifles and loads I want to shoot but right now, I would not hunt with that powder at all.