Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Dirty" M/L shoot better?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default "Dirty" M/L shoot better?

I sighted in my T/C Black Diamond recently and the first shot (with clean gun) was slightly low, about 1-1/2" and to the left at 50 yds.

I then cleaned with three "over the counter" damppatches (with cleaningsol) and dried with 2 dry patches before the next 4 shots. All these last 4 shots were all in the bull area. All shots felt good when I fired.

Since the gun is now clean again,should I expect my first shot to be slightly off like that first round at the range?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Dirty" M/L shoot better?

My Black Diamond does the same thing. That's why I hunt on a fowled barrel with it. The only way to be certain of first shot placement is to make a note every time you shoot, where the first clean barrel shot hits.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

No!

The problem is no one only shoots one shot at the range - adjusts the scope or open sights -- then departs -- then keeps coming back to the range & shooting only one shot again - tweaking the scope until it nails the bulleye.

So really, most-all shooters sight-in their MLs on arepatch-conditioned, warmbarrel - then expect it to shoot the same groups when the bore sparkling clean & cold.

The only way clean MLs shoot better than dirty ones is by firing only one shot every range visit - until you nail the bullseye repeatedly. Then if you need a 2nd shot to harvest a wounded deer, you need to know where that one is hitting.

There are folks who take 3-4 MLs to gun ranges & only fire two shots. The 2nd shot may be low 3" - left 3"..... so you practice that 2nd shot by aiming 3" high and 3" right.

So really, one needs to decide at the very beginning -if he wants a nice shooting range gun -- or a nice shooting hunting gun.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

No!

The problem is no one only shoots one shot at the range - adjusts the scope or open sights -- then departs -- then keeps coming back to the range & shooting only one shot again - tweaking the scope until it nails the bulleye.

So really, most-all shooters sight-in their MLs on arepatch-conditioned, warmbarrel - then expect it to shoot the same groups when the bore sparkling clean & cold.

The only way clean MLs shoot better than dirty ones is by firing only one shot every range visit - until you nail the bullseye repeatedly. Then if you need a 2nd shot to harvest a wounded deer, you need to know where that one is hitting.

There are folks who take 3-4 MLs to gun ranges & only fire two shots. The 2nd shot may be low 3" - left 3"..... so you practice that 2nd shot by aiming 3" high and 3" right.

So really, one needs to decide at the very beginning -if he wants a nice shooting range gun -- or a nice shooting hunting gun.

I am still a little confused by your answer.

Where would you expect my first shot to hit when I am in the field during M/L season?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Jim -

What Triple Se7en was getting at is, if you want to hunt on a clean barrel, then you need to shoot and sight in your rifle on a clean barrel only. This means shoot it ONCE then clean the rifle. Then shoot the rifle again and CLEAN it, and so on. Once you have the rifle sighted in for that first shot, you know where the rifle will hit, so all you have to do is make the first shot count.

After you shot the first shot, many then shoot one more. Again they note; for example, second shot on fowled barrel hits 2" left & 2" high. Then if they do need a second shot, they know how much they need to adjust their POI for that second shot.

Only the owner or hunter about to use the rifle can decide how they want to hunt the rifle. Many people on the range shoot their rifle numerous times and sight their scope or sight in during that range session. What they are actually doing is sighting in with a fowled rifle. Then they go out with a clean rifle and hunt and discover they missed on the first shot or did not hit right where they wanted. So you have to decide what or how you want to shoot is all he was getting at.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am still a little confused by your answer.

Where would you expect my first shot to hit when I am in the field during M/L season?
Like Cayugad mentioned, barrels must be pristine to duplicate clean barrel shots. But when I said to only shoot once or twice at each range visit, well... I meant that.

Reason-being is that you can clean the barrel after every shot, but the barrel may remain warm - instead of being cold. That can change POI. You also need to have more than one breechplug - because they get fouled too.

We have no idea where your first shot will hit. You have to figure that out at the range. I live 50 miles from my closest range - plus the range fee is $4 after purchasing a yearly parking permit fee of around $24. So I take 3-4 guns to the range -- otherwise I'm wasting gas, time and entry fees.

The only other option is firing a full charge fouling shot first - after firing three 209 primers to clear the plug& barrel of moisture. Ihave done this sometimes .... usingan empty sabot to seat the powder/block the powder grains from becoming loose/falling out. That may get your 1st & 2nd shot closer together. But some folks don't want to spook deer firing a fouling shot first -while hunting. You need to figure out what best serves your situation.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad - Triple Se7en:

I understand exactly now..Thanks for the input, I apperciate it.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt onclean boresand map what happens after with a fouled bore. As mentioned this takes several trips to the range to find out what your setup(s) do. Howeverin our area where it can be warm, cold and most likely moisture of some sort I like to know my gun will go bang the next trip out so it is discharged and cleaned thoproughly between hunts(even if that is the next am). I haven't had a hang fire and never needed a follow up shot(though it is planned for as I first mentioned)...so works JFL for me.