Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Nim
Spike

Default RE: Faster way to clean muzzleloader?

I use plane old cold water a patch pump it several times to flush the niple clean repeat with nylon brush then fresh water and pump with a couple more patches till clean,I do use a vice with a thick peice of leather to hold the barrelthen dry and oil. Hot water promotes a flash rust but I do clean with super hot water once in a while to get the seasoning out and start over again when my 3 shot 1 hole group starts to expand. The whole prosess takes about 15 min from start to finish.
O Mlinkrpt put some of that dishwasher soap in your hand add a bit of water rub your hands together the heat you feel isthe acid they put in the soap that eats up food grinders
Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nim

Hot water promotes a flash rust but I do clean with super hot water once in a while to get the seasoning out and start over again when my 3 shot 1 hole group starts to expand.
What range distance,bullet, bullet size, powder & powder volume are you using to achieve "3-Shot/1-Hole" Groups?????

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe a little less time for an inline.
I think I would be purchasing an in-line just for the time savings
Old 10-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Borrow someone else gun and let them clean it after you shoot it.TruthfullyI haven't found a real fast way to clean a ML.The only real way I believe is follow what the gun maker says to do it.The music can play all day and night long ,but in the end someone has to pay the band.Same way with muzzleloading.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lately I've been using Rusty Duck Black Powder Solvent with good success. 2 to 4 soaked patches (both sides) worked through the bore followed by 2 to 4 dry patches. Then I run a patch or two of denatured alcohol to dry the bore followed by a patch or two of balistol to confirm a clean bore. If everything looks good at that point I run a couple of dry patches followed by BC sheath for storage. Wipe down the outside and clean the nipple, apply antisieze to the nipple and install. Done. Takes about 10 to 15 min.

There is an adapter that can be screwed in inplace of the nipple that has a piece of tubing that can be placed into a bucket of water. This allows you to pump water in and out of the barrel without removing it from the stock, thus saving that time. I don't have one nor have I used one so someone else will have to comment on how well it works.