Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Muzzle loading

Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to Muzzle loading

hey sorry for being gone so long, lifes kinda hectic. anyones to through another loop into the plan, i am left handed so most bolt actions are not gonna work and a thumb hole is definetly not gonna work. and in your personal opinions is stainless got an advantage or at least for the money over blued.
FYI... TC does make the Omega in LH thumbhole w/ the laminate stock.. but it's a little pricy.

I personally feel that the SS barrels hold up much better to the black powder and the elements than blued barrels. But blued barrels have been around forever.. so???

Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Spike

another quick guestion, i was told that with the omega you need a special to remove the primer or something, true? is it discouraging thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 02:41 PM

almost all inlines need a tool to remove the primer once its fired. All the build up from the priming going off kind of makes it a little harder to remove once its been fired. I used to have to use the tool all of the time on my winchester untill after 75 shots or so and i can pull them out by hand now. Gets a little hard after 10 shots though. Did you look at the winchester apex? it has an SS barrel and is pretty much the kodiak except better materials.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

When I was using the 209 primers in my stainless Omega they always just fell out when I opened the falling breech. In fact it is important to be sure to hold the gun up so that when the primer falls out it does not get stuck in the trigger group. I changed mine to the .25ACP conversion and the ability to handle the .25 brass easier than the 209 primer is worth all the expense besides the fact that the range of power available for primers is very wide compared with what is available in 209 primers.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:10 AM

I too have never had a problem removing the primer from my Omega, they usually fall out when you open the Breech/trigger mechanism, if they do not they are easily pulled out with a flick of your fingernail or thumbnail.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

When I was using the 209 primers in my stainless Omega they always just fell out when I opened the falling breech
Same thing on my CVA - I had a couple 'misfires' which were simply a case of the primer backing out of the breechplug, and me not noticing it. Now I wrap a little piece of scotch tape - prob -1-2mm wide - around primer before loading it; it stays nice and snug, and I keep a few similarly modified primers in my bag. I think maybe it'll have better fit once I've fired this gun more (only have a couple dozen rounds through it)

Killed doe with it the other day - 90gr Pyrodex & 240gr XTP. Shattered shoulder, DRT. Very satisfying.