Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good powder to bullet wt. ratio?

Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 AM

Default Good powder to bullet wt. ratio?

I am shooting 90 grains of pyrodex with a 245 grn. Thompson Mag Sabot bullet. Is this a good combination or can I do a lot better? I've killed about 6 deer with this combination, but, I have a problem. Out of these 6 deer, none of them have left a blood trail. All six were perfect behind the shoulder shots and the animals didn't go 50 yards at the most, but still they did not leave a trail to follow. Don't get me wrong, the bullet done its job as was apparent during the cleaning process, but still I'm getting tired of having to listen where they fall to find them. I'm wanting to try the power belts and I guess my question is what would be a good ratio with a 50 cal. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Good powder to bullet wt. ratio?

First off the bullet you're using is a good combination. As for the lack of blood trail, that can happen with any projectile. What I think you are looking for is something that will get a complete pass through. For this I would recommend a Shockwave. While the powerbelts will also work well, I have read reports of powerbelts also not leaving good blood trail. The Shockwave should get better penetration, and pass through. Perhaps give them a try and see how they work in your rifle.

I am somewhat surprised that you're not getting complete pass through with the XTP's. My friend shoots them and has yet (on three deer) to not get a pass through. Just never can tell what deer will do or how a bullet will behave.

Good luck with your new projectiles. At least you have something that you can fall back on that you know works.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ARKANSAS

I am shooting 90 grains of pyrodex with a 245 grn. Thompson Mag Sabot bullet. Is this a good combination or can I do a lot better? I've killed about 6 deer with this combination, but, I have a problem. Out of these 6 deer, none of them have left a blood trail. All six were perfect behind the shoulder shots and the animals didn't go 50 yards at the most, but still they did not leave a trail to follow. Don't get me wrong, the bullet done its job as was apparent during the cleaning process, but still I'm getting tired of having to listen where they fall to find them. I'm wanting to try the power belts and I guess my question is what would be a good ratio with a 50 cal. Thanks in advance guys!
This bullet below will solve your problems. May need to kick up the powder charge to 100-110 grains....

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0003545162

If loading/seating ever becomes a bear when trying different sabot/bullets, buy Harvester plastic sabots in 50-pks to erase the grunts & groans. Sold at this website also.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

THERE ARE MANY WAYS AND MANY IDEAS ON THIS,heres mine.
I use the same formula I did when I was building PRB rifles i/2 the bullet weight as a starting point work in 5 gr increments in both directions till you find the load your rifle groups best with; as for the bullet the XTP at 230gr 0r 250 gr or 300gr will do the job,use the one that shoots best for group,its what I have used most but I use Shock Waves when I expect to shoot over 125 yds.
Please do not exceed the max load listed for your gun in your operators manule. Lee
Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use 295 powrbelt in my hawkins .50 cal.i use around 80 grs of 2f..have not shot deer with it yet.. most of the bucks i got here in pa. over years i used 370 gr. maxi-ball..that bullet is best i have used until i tried powerbelt..i believe shooting a powerbelt hollow point bullet at high speed is mistake..if you do, get the new platimun ones..

i seen more deer missed over 45 years hunting because of recoil..that is why i like the pb 295/348 hollow pointso much.. i can load DOWN not up and still get a good kill on buck, i believe.. with deer eradication program here in pa. i may not get a chance to see how those pb bullets do on buck..i believe they will perform well if not driven to FAST..
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all of your input guys!! I need to clarify that I am getting clean pass throughs, and that is what is so puzzling about the lack of blood. I also need to mention that all of these shots have been within 40 yards. I was told that at a close distance, the bullets sometimes don't expand or cause enough trauma to leave a decent trail. Sorry I'm just now getting a chance to reply!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ARKANSAS

Thanks for all of your input guys!! I need to clarify that I am getting clean pass throughs, and that is what is so puzzling about the lack of blood. I also need to mention that all of these shots have been within 40 yards. I was told that at a close distance, the bullets sometimes don't expand or cause enough trauma to leave a decent trail. Sorry I'm just now getting a chance to reply!
i shot a 9 point buck in 1972 with dad.. i was using 7mm rem mag,150 gr bullet..i shot buck at 50 yards..it ran away.. everyone looked and found no blood..i kept looking as i dont miss..i found buck 100 yards away..

now comes the story.. where the bullet went in was aboutsize of agolf ball..where it came out on the other side,well, other side was blown away.. yes, terrible hole..i could stick my head in it.. that was last time i used such a powerful gun on deer..

so, there is good example that you can have no blood or very little..

personelly i like bullet that blows -up in a deer..but you have to make neck or behind shoulder shot..any other direction and you will wound a deer..

thats why i think that using hollow point pb at fast speed is a big mistake,UNLESS you hit deer in boiler room..closer you are to deer ,the more damage bullet will do..
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Spike

I shoot muzzy four blades at deer with my bow, and sometimes don't get a blood trail for up to fifty yards on a good pass through shots. I shot a cow elk today at 35 yards with a 348 grain powerbelt and didn't get a blood trail, but she went down within 50 yards. If all your game is falling within 50 yards, I'd say you're already doing something right.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:23 PM

I would stay away from the powerbelt bullets... I have used the powerbelt bullets (AiroTip) for several years. They penetrate well but do not expand. I shot one buck directly in the front of the chest and it almost exited out the rear... he still ran 150 yards. Ifyou want to put them down where you shoot them you need to find a bullet that is going to carry theenergy welland expand... this year I have switched to the TC Shockwaves... time will tell how they perform.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:16 PM

I'd go to a shockwave, and I'd recommend a heavier powder charge(if reasonable) for more expansion, even on longer shots.

Quick Reply: Good powder to bullet wt. ratio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.