Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#11mag vs musket cap

Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 PM

Default #11mag vs musket cap

which one would be the best for a knight inline rifle?
209s are not leagel in oregon, it also has to bee loose powder.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: #11mag vs musket cap

I shoot #11 caps out of my Knights with excellent results. They really work good and are more water proof then you think. I always had problems with the musket caps staying in place and I really do not think they have all that much more fire them some of the hotter #11 caps like the RWS & CCI Magnum.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for #11 caps. Buy the magnumrated capsand Hot Shot nipple for a little extra firing power.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

just a matter of choice at this point. my brother loves the 11-s. i switched to the musket caps. i like them because they are bigger and easier to handle in my butter fingers. might have more fire power volume because its bigger but its all good. cheap enough to try both.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunter.50

The general concept is that 11 mags reach a hotter temperature in shorter time span... (this is not true of regular #11's) Musket caps, on the otherprovide a longer duration of spark and are hotter than regular #11's...

Old 10-07-2006, 10:34 AM

I recall that we have visited this subject several times in the past. The musket caps will stay on if you take the time to pinch the petals a little - and particularly if you machine a little groove in the nipple where the cap pinches against it. However, I failed to do this on opening day this year and, after sitting against a tree for about two hours, happened to glance over at my Black Diamond only to discover the cap had fallen off somewhere in the dark. Good thing the elk hadn't decided to start moving through yet.

In terms of moisture resistance, however, I soaked a couple of musket caps in a glass of water for 30 minutes - pulled them out and blew them off - and they both went bang - no problem.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:57 PM

This is what i did my very first year with a muzzleloader. After getting sighted in and fed up with the #11's going off and not the main charge, a week before i went hunting i went to the local gunsmith and ordered a musket nipple and bought some caps. The nipple took a week to come in and i was leaving in 5 days and so i picked up a bag of those little pink slip overs that you put over the #11 caps while in wet weather. I put the sleeve over the nipple and then stuck the musket cap right over that. Fit perfect and no way it will fall off.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hunter.50

which one would be the best for a knight inline rifle?
209s are not leagel in oregon, it also has to bee loose powder.
Thanks
If anything, I have found the CCI #11 Magnum caps to beMORE POWERFUL than musket caps- at any rate, they are at least equal. There is one big advantage for the musket cap - it is easier to handle in cold weather. This is negated if you use a capper, though....

I have one rifle that has a custom-made lock, and the guy who made it cut the half-cock notch so that the hammer stands close enough to the top of the nipple to prevent a cap from coming off, yet far enough that it does not touch the seated cap - safe, but it secures the cap in place (the maker was a pretty bright fellow....)
Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have found the musket caps to be more accurate in my system one and to have no misfires in my Renagade. I tried all the available including 209 with the approprate nipple in the System One and the musket caps wre way more accurate both with sabot and PRB.Lee
Old 10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

We certainly are reading a mixed bag of opinions on this discussion. Not only is the discussion on how well each one ignites, it's also a discussion on nipple fit, ease of handling and accuracy variations. I guess "price" plays a part also. Maybe that discussion is coming in the next post.... I dunno!

Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.