Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

Hey guys i want to go pick up a T/C Omega and i wanted to know ur thoughts on the rifle. This will be my first muzzleloader, and its going to run me about $300. Its not stainless steel and its in black and blue. You think its worth buying the more expensive one thats stainless steel? Is this rifle accurate?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:08 PM

Default RE: I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

its accurate if you use sabots. I dont know what FL laws are but if you cant use a sabot, look for another gun. And yes, the Stainless steel is always worth the few extra bucks. I find that they clean out easier.

Jon
Old 09-24-2006, 03:11 PM

If you want the Stainless steel, go ahead and get it. I love my T/C Omega. I have the blued barrel. When using 150 grains of Triple 7 and a Powerbelt bullet, I have found that these are very accurate. I dont like the sabot rounds because they are so hard to get down the barrel.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:16 PM

isnt 150 grains Triple 7 an over load? loose or sticks?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

I have $400 to spend just on the gun, what do u guys think is a good buy with that much money?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

isnt 150 grains Triple 7 an over load? loose or sticks?
Nope.. As long as the 150 grains is in pellet form. Triple Se7en pellets are reduced in size so their overall power potential is the same as the Pyrodex pellets. With powerbelts, I have never found that large a load as the most accuracte, but each rifle is different.

The Omega is a great rifle. While Stainless is nice, the blue barrel will serve you just fine. Is the stainless worth the extra money, well I personally do not think so. My White is Stainless but that is the way it came and for the price we got them for, it was more then a good deal.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NewbHunter

Hey guys i want to go pick up a T/C Omega and i wanted to know ur thoughts on the rifle. This will be my first muzzleloader, and its going to run me about $300. Its not stainless steel and its in black and blue. 1)You think its worth buying the more expensive one thats stainless steel? 2)Is this rifle accurate?
1)YES
2)YES

Psssstttt.... get the laminated stock SS.

The stainless barrel keeps things a tad cooler inside that bore.The laminated wood, although a bit slippery with non-rubber backed gloves,gives itpretty decent balance - it tames recoil & no hollow clanging of tree branches that I often hearwhen greeting thesynthetic stocks on a romp thru the woods. Better resale value too.

[size=2]
Keep Your Powder Dry Folks
. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Old 09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some Omegas are accurate with conicals, some are not. My brother and I bought identical stainless 50 caliber Omegas. His shoots powerbelts and other conicals great with 777. Mine is another story. It shoots sabots great, but I had to go back to pyrodex to get it to shoot conicals decent. It would not shoot any conicals very well with 777, APP, and Black Mag3.

Bottom line is if you are mainly going to be shooting conicals, most recommend a 1 in 48 inch twist rather than the Omega's 1 in 28.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

No mention of shooting conicals in the thread-starter's posts. It's no secret those Omegas are much better-suited for sabots. So is just about any 1-28" fast twist inline these days.

Keep Your Powder Dry Folks
. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

1 in 48 is not a great twist for any one thing... I have two .50 cal conical shooters that are 1 in 24, a 1 in 20 .45 cal conical shooter, a .50 cal sabot shooter that is 1 in 24 as well. Just because it is fast twist doesn't mean it can only shoot sabots. What makes an Omega (or any current TC product) a suspect conical shooter is the QLA. All the Knights I have had shot conicals well... they were 1 in 28. The TC QLA have been known to be off just a touch. UC cut off the QLA on one of his Encores and only then did it start to group conicals better.

Quick Reply: I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.