Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need some advice on buying a bp rifle.

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

1 in 48 is not a great twist for any one thing... I have two .50 cal conical shooters that are 1 in 24, a 1 in 20 .45 cal conical shooter, a .50 cal sabot shooter that is 1 in 24 as well. Just because it is fast twist doesn't mean it can only shoot sabots. What makes an Omega (or any current TC product) a suspect conical shooter is the QLA. All the Knights I have had shot conicals well... they were 1 in 28. The TC QLA have been known to be off just a touch. UC cut off the QLA on one of his Encores and only then did it start to group conicals better.
Not many folks want to shoot 460-500 gr conicals Robbie! That's what that Omega throws out nicely. Also...Removing that QLA removes your barrel's full lifetime, owner-transferable warranty.

Want a conical shooter??? -- buy a conical shooter!

My 1-48" twists shoot 270-385gr conicals very well. But the best conical may be a 295 Powerbelt with 80 gr777 at 100yards. Bullseye everytime!
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

That's great! You were able to find a load that worked... point still remains, just because it's a fast twist doesn't mean it can't shoot conicals. Current TC products just seem to have a problem (more often than not) with conicals...
Old 09-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en
Not many folks want to shoot 460-500 gr conicals Robbie!
What does that have to do with what I was addressing? I only meant to answer that fast twists do shoot conicals... and rather well I might add. My daughter might be shooting 400gn conicals this fall... big deal! That had nothing to do with what I was addressing.

That's what that Omega throws out nicely.
So the Omega throws out conicals nicely?

Want a conical shooter??? -- buy a conical shooter!
Thanks for the advice but I did that already... 3 times. They all shoot sabots as well. I also bought a dedicated sabot shooter... Savage 10MLII. Don't know if it will shoot conicals well... don't care. It will shoot sabots.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:12 PM

No mention of shooting conicals in the thread-starter's posts. It's no secret those Omegas are much better-suited for sabots. So is just about any 1-28" fast twist inline these days.
Was there any mention of shooting sabots? I don't think so.

And as long as we are on fast twist inlines, the White has a1-24" twist and was DESIGNED to be a conical shooter.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Not many folks want to shoot 460-500 gr conicals Robbie! That's what that Omega throws out nicely. Also...Removing that QLA removes your barrel's full lifetime, owner-transferable warranty.
Again, here you are talking about folks. I wonder who they are.

Why do you say folks don't "want" to shoot big conicals? Is it recoil or what?

If it's recoil, personally, my son and Ishoot a 460 gr conical. I load with 105 gr of Triple 7 ffg and my son with 80 gr of the same. He is 14 and weighs about 135 lbs and has no problem with it. In my readingon the internet, there are a lot of "folks" that shoot 460-500 gr conicals. If I am not mistaken, Cayugad was leaning toward using the 500 gr Bullshop this deer season.

Also, where does it say that TC has a "barrel's full lifetime, owner-transferable warranty?

The following is copied directly from the TC websites.

"3: Does Thompson/Center Arms really have a lifetime warranty?
Yes, our limited lifetime warranty covers the product through the lifetime of the original purchaser, except in the case of obvious abuse or neglect.

Maybe I missed something.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I have read the same warranty you posted about Thompson Center, but have purchased many rifles used and have yet to be turned down for any repair or modification by Thompson Center. In fact they fix them no questions asked so far.

As for the big conicals, I think people shy away from them because they are looking for something fast and quick that expands a great deal. What I am starting to realize is while the large conicals might have a rainbow trajectory, they still have a lot of energy, and as for expansion, they start at .504 diameter and only grow from there.. Overa half inch hole pounding through the critter.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:34 AM

Cayugad, I have heard numerous stories about TC standing behind their product. Even if something has been abused. Even something purchased off of ebay that was broken, sent in and replaced, no questions asked. That is great customer support and I would definitely buy something from them if I were in the market.

But, it does not mean there is a "full lifetime, owner-transferable warranty" as Triple 7 states. If TC made a business decision tomorrow, that they were going to change the way they do business they could. They could say that people have to have their guns registered with them as the original owner, or no more free service/replacements.