Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Custom Sabotry Has Arrived

Old 09-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom Sabotry Has Arrived

As per Randy Wakeman, those yellow sabots being used to dress those Knight and Barnes Polymer-tip bullets were designed specifically for that bullet. Use of any other sabot may result in subpar performance/accuracy. In this specific case, the sabot was molded to fit the exact dimensions of the boat-tail.

We are entering a new arena with this news. There will obviously come a day when most-all bullet manufacturers will want their plastic sabots custom-tailored for their own bullet. Swapping sabot brands/modelsto achieve tighter loading or looser loading is now in Round One of being threatened with a slow fade-away.

We have already begun to see this with ML manufacturers offering their own bullets. So if you wonder why your Powerbelt doesn't work superbly in a T/C -- or your Hornady SST wont get down that Autin-Halleck bore without a sweat & several grunts, wellwe are embarking on an ageto finding best accuracy with our new MLsusng both the same manufacturer ML - with the same manufacturer bullet offering on store shelves.

Sometimes, those "custom' bullets may be found inside the new ML box - with a recommendation attached.

Just some words to pass along.

No need for replies -- I'll bump-up this thread for about a week.[:-]
Old 09-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Custom Sabotry Has Arrived

The new barnes spitfire 285 grain sabots I bought have those sabots you mention. And they are a real bear to load.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Poster dvdegeorge on another forum stated the Barnes TMZ 250 was brutal to get down the Omega with those yellow jobbies. He stated having a noticeably easier time loading the Hornady SST & we all know the SST is harder-loading than it's sister T/C Shockwave.

Keep Your Powder Dry Folks
. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Old 09-23-2006, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

As per Randy Wakeman, those yellow sabots being used to dress those Knight and Barnes Polymer-tip bullets were designed specifically for that bullet. Use of any other sabot may result in subpar performance/accuracy. In this specific case, the sabot was molded to fit the exact dimensions of the boat-tail.

We are entering a new arena with this news. There will obviously come a day when most-all bullet manufacturers will want their plastic sabots custom-tailored for their own bullet. Swapping sabot brands/modelsto achieve tighter loading or looser loading is now in Round One of being threatened with a slow fade-away.

We have already begun to see this with ML manufacturers offering their own bullets. So if you wonder why your Powerbelt doesn't work superbly in a T/C -- or your Hornady SST wont get down that Autin-Halleck bore without a sweat & several grunts, wellwe are embarking on an ageto finding best accuracy with our new MLsusng both the same manufacturer ML - with the same manufacturer bullet offering on store shelves.

Sometimes, those "custom' bullets may be found inside the new ML box - with a recommendation attached.

Just some words to pass along.

No need for replies -- I'll bump-up this thread for about a week.[:-]
It's a little reactionary. The reason the Barnes sabots are molded to fit the bullet is support for the boattail. The Sabot is the same as that available for the Barnes Spitfire (non tipped) bullets. For a copper bullet that won't obturate in the sabot it's neccisary. And yes it does limit you but only if you are shooting their bullets. If your not then it's no big deal. These are bullets that ifthey shoot then great, if not then your out of luck.

As to the rest, You can blame the gun makers specifically. They can't seem to come up with a common bore diameter for every caliber. Some manufacturers bore diameters even vary widely from gun to gun.How are bullet makers supposed to know what diameter to make the bullet/sabot combos? They can't make a combo for every different borediameter. You'd see 3 or 4 different bore diameter versions for every bullet.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I had trouble with the yellow sabots with the TMZs also. I tried HPH 24s and couldn't get any accuracy so just for the heck of it I tried a MMP sub base under a HPH 24 and they shot very well , 5/8 inch 50 yd group. I don't know why this worked, but it did. I used 120 grs of loose 777 and a Win 777 primer behind a 250 gr TMZ. I shoot an Omega. If anyone else tries this I would be interested in there results.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mayguy

I had trouble with the yellow sabots with the TMZs also. I tried HPH 24s and couldn't get any accuracy so just for the heck of it I tried a MMP sub base under a HPH 24 and they shot very well , 5/8 inch 50 yd group. I don't know why this worked, but it did. I used 120 grs of loose 777 and a Win 777 primer behind a 250 gr TMZ. I shoot an Omega. If anyone else tries this I would be interested in there results.
That's good to know! I'll use this reply as a help counter-offer to folks having trouble with their ugly yellow sabots..

There are ways to get around everything - I guess!

[size=2]
. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The new barnes spitfire 285 grain sabots I bought have those sabots you mention. And they are a real bear to load.
All the more reasons to return to the good, ol' PRB!
Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

AS long as you have flat based bullets you will be able to get separate sabots to "customize" them to your gun. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a thinner/thicker petaled "yellow" sabot is being made or at least thought about...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

AS long as you have flat based bullets you will be able to get separate sabots to "customize" them to your gun. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a thinner/thicker petaled "yellow" sabot is being made or at least thought about...
I think MMP already makes both spectrums in yellow.... either that - or the diameters of the Barnes TMZ bullet is beyond .452 and the T/C Shockwave that's dressed by the Superglide sabot must be under .451

Folks aremoaning & groaning loadingtheBarnes yellow sabot
The same folks find it refreshingly easyto loadthe T/C yellow Superglide sabots.

These yellow jackets are not new to MLingFor the lastthree years, I have seen Buffalobullets wearing a yellow sabot. So allow me to throw a monkey wrench into this double-sided equation by stating I think the Buffalo yellow jackets load about perfectly... snug - but without any shake-rattle or rolling.

. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

I think MMP already makes both spectrums in yellow.... either that - or the diameters of the Barnes TMZ bullet is beyond .452 and the T/C Shockwave that's dressed by the Superglide sabot must be under .451

Folks aremoaning & groaning loadingtheBarnes yellow sabot
The same folks find it refreshingly easyto loadthe T/C yellow Superglide sabots.

These yellow jackets are not new to MLingFor the lastthree years, I have seen Buffalobullets wearing a yellow sabot. So allow me to throw a monkey wrench into this double-sided equation by stating I think the Buffalo yellow jackets load about perfectly... snug - but without any shake-rattle or rolling.

. . . . . . . Joe [/i]

Triple Se7en, what do they load good in ? the bore size would be better than the brand [standerds are weak in muzzle loaders]. Lee