Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

Hey everybody!
I'm getting excited for the deer hunting season to begin! I've been passing my time waterfowlin and will begin deer hunting early season muzzy soon. In the past years I've hunted late, but I thought I'd give early a try this year as I have been unsuccessful in tracking down a big buck the past two years. I figure the deer are still in their "routines" and will be a little easier to hunt as there is a lot of shotgun pressure up here in Iowa. I was wondering if you guys had any "early season" tips for me? We have two corn food plots and a couple known bedding areas. A month or so ago when I was up there checking the food plots I kicked up a pretty nice 10 point still in velvet and am hoping he's still around. I don't want to scrounge around too much as season opens in 3 weeks and I don't want to spook anything. Any ideas?

Thank!
Joey
Old 09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Early Season Muzzy Tactics?

Sounds like you are all set. Get your muzzleloader good and accurate, and then if you don't mind trees, go up (I like tree stands) and watch your plots. When that monster comes out, relax and take your time. You only get one shot so make it count. The thrill is hard to explain, but I wish you the best of luck in connecting with a monster Whitetail. Then make sure you do not fall out of the tree from the excitement...
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

The only thing I would add is what you probably already know: Since you spoke of food plots and bedding areas, I'd be sure to pick a couple of good stands on either side of the normal travel route they'd take between them. Then you can decide which one to use depending on the wind direction.
Good Luck - and we look forward to a picture of that 10-pointer

Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I know that stands work and for your set up they would be the best. When I hunt (rifle, ML, bow) I find the thickest bunch of bush and walk. 2-3 steps and stop, repeat as required. I just don't have the patience to sit in a stand when it is cold out and I have had great luck spot and stalking. Most hunters stick to trails and never leave them so the bush is where most the big animals are.

My 2.5 cents

Eric
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Hey Joey:
I'm also an Iowegan and have hunted early ML season for a couple of years now. The bucks will be thinkin about some love and the does will be running from them. Those last 15 minutes of legal shooting hours are the golden time. The does will be coming out to the food in the evening and the bucks will be out to see them for things other than eating. I like to get out around 3-330 and wait.
Time spent at the range is very important to me as I tune my load and have all the confidence in my abilites for that one late in the day shot.
Randy
Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brushbuster07

Hey everybody!
I'm getting excited for the deer hunting season to begin! I've been passing my time waterfowlin and will begin deer hunting early season muzzy soon. In the past years I've hunted late, but I thought I'd give early a try this year as I have been unsuccessful in tracking down a big buck the past two years. I figure the deer are still in their "routines" and will be a little easier to hunt as there is a lot of shotgun pressure up here in Iowa. I was wondering if you guys had any "early season" tips for me? We have two corn food plots and a couple known bedding areas. A month or so ago when I was up there checking the food plots I kicked up a pretty nice 10 point still in velvet and am hoping he's still around. I don't want to scrounge around too much as season opens in 3 weeks and I don't want to spook anything. Any ideas?

Thank!
Joey
first, glad to hear you are buck hunter, me too..the best advice i can give is 2 things..being able to walk SLOWLY and sit and walk and sit..or as cayugad said, hunt out of tree..most of my bucks were killed on ground..if you are in tree,you have to wait and hope deer comes your way.. with pressure here in pa. on deer, no one can get a pattern going on deer..now, the biggest thing you can do..without this and not checking wind, you will not get that buck..i start a fire in my yard at home, i smoke my hunting clothes..forget those things you buy, not powerful enough..i use apple wood if i am hunting near apple trees but mostly i use just a few pine limbs..pine trees are all over here in pa..birch is another but pine limbs you can fine easy..after you smoke your hat, coat and pants, get a set of rubber boots.put the clothes into a bag and tie off top..then when you get to woods, put on clothes..i smoke my clothes 2 times a week..i swear i am part indian ,at times..listen to sproul and you will know how to get that buck..good luck..
Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a ladder stand and a hang on stand. Get a 15' if you get a ladder. Treestands are great. You will wan't a few treestands to put in different places.
First Link is Ladder stands (good for private Property)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20051&navAction=jump&nav Count=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=categ ory&cmCat=MainCatcat20712
Second Link is for hand on stands (good for public land)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20055&navAction=jump&nav Count=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=categ ory&cmCat=MainCatcat20712
Old 09-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Its been covered very well, all I can say is...
Keep your powder dry, the wind in your face, the sun at your back, and the crosshairs steady...

Good luck this season guys!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Get a ladder stand and a hang on stand. Get a 15' if you get a ladder. Treestands are great. You will wan't a few treestands to put in different places.
First Link is Ladder stands (good for private Property)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20051&navAction=jump&nav Count=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=categ ory&cmCat=MainCatcat20712
Second Link is for hand on stands (good for public land)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20055&navAction=jump&nav Count=1&parentId=cat20712&parentType=categ ory&cmCat=MainCatcat20712
sharp, i got 2 ladder stands at dicks for 49 dollars ea. they are 15 ft stands, plenty high enough..i use them on publicland, so far, no one has stolen them..i lock it on at topbut they may get stolen..i have hang on stands but those tioe on steps are terrible..in fact, i even putmy summit climbing stand away..as you get older, those get tough to use..ladder stand is my favorite because i can put in on a HUGE oak tree..then when wind blows,i am protected and no swaying in wind.plus it is great to hid behind and better on your back than a smaller tree you need for climbing stand.i use a dolly to haul my stand in woods ,it works great.then if i get a deer, i strap him on the dolly and out i go.those dollys are on sale at those tool sales they have all over country,truck pulls up and sells the stuff.. i got mine for 18 dollars with air tires.its great.i haul my buck out sometimes 1 mile from my car,no problem without snow..good info..
Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

If your season starts before the rut the big boys usually do not follow the normal travel routes. If you have a chance look for secondary travel routes, they are harder to find but when you find one it is usually a big deer. Look for vegetation that is out of place, for instance any tall grass that has been deformed or has a bowed shape. The normal high traffic routes usually have no vegetation as it is wore out from the traffic. Secondary routes are usually parallel to the main travel routes, I've seen them as close as 30 yards and out to 100 yards. It works wonders beleive me. If your season is during the rut, it doesn't matter where you sit as the bucks are after hot does. Good luck and be safe.