Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

max load?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Spike

Default max load?

There has been some questions lately about shockeys gold. I'm gonna try some this weekend and had some questions. The label says its comparable to black by volume. Now my inline has a max load of black orRS at 150 grains, I dont ever shoot more than 120 and I know I will be fine loading up to that point but at that load are the pressures and velocity similar to black? I like the rifle with 100 grains of RS but if anyone knows if the performance is the same I probably wont take the time to experiment with it. Also I should add I tend to shoot heavier bullets Im just not settled on what weight yet. thanks D.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: max load?

While they should be close, you're still going to have to go to the range and try them out with different loads. Other things to consider is the degree of fowling between the two powders mentioned. Also the ignition time. While black powder ignites very fast, in comparison pyrodex and I believe APP is slower which of course will effect the accuracy of the projectile. How much effect only your rifle will know. I will be watching for your post reference your experiences as I also recently purchased a pound of the Shockey Gold and APP 3f to try in some of the rifles...

Old 09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nysbowhunter

There has been some questions lately about shockeys gold. I'm gonna try some this weekend and had some questions. The label says its comparable to black by volume. Now my inline has a max load of black orRS at 150 grains,
What inline do you have? Most manufacturers allow 150 (three pellets) -- but not with loose powder.

Let us know how you make out using heavy bullets with Shockeys. I'm interested in how well this powder throws them.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nysbowhunter

There has been some questions lately about shockeys gold. I'm gonna try some this weekend and had some questions. The label says its comparable to black by volume. Now my inline has a max load of black orRS at 150 grains, I dont ever shoot more than 120 and I know I will be fine loading up to that point but at that load are the pressures and velocity similar to black? I like the rifle with 100 grains of RS but if anyone knows if the performance is the same I probably wont take the time to experiment with it. Also I should add I tend to shoot heavier bullets Im just not settled on what weight yet. thanks D.
To the best of my knowledge, you can use any substitute powder just like black powder on a volume-for-volume measured basis, EXCEPT for Triple 7, which should be reduced around 20% to get an equivalent pressure and velocity. IF your rifle will take 150 grains of LOOSE (not pellets) Pyrodex RS or GOEX FFg black powder measured by volume, it should take that big a volume of Shockey's Gold without excessive pressures. Some will permit a 150-grain charge of pellets, but NOT THAT MUCH LOOSE POWDER!

However, there should be no problem at all using 120 grains of the GOLD stuff. If you have doubts, e-mail your rifle's maker, or APP and ask them!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Spike

Now see, Thats an excellent point. Its pays to ask the questions! I have a traditions thunderbolt 209 In 50 caliber.A pretty neat rifle for free (gun raffle winner). The manual does not say loose or pellets it just says 150 grains. I want to keep it around 100 if i can. Im kind of in a hurry because I work about 60 hours a week and I want to find a good load before putting the scope on. So I can use iron sights somedayif need be. I will be in touch with some results. Thanks boys. D.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Remember Black Powder firearms have been around a LOT longer than scopes have, some states will not even allow you to use a scope.

In open terrain iron sights would be good pretty far but I would think with average eyesight even in wooded areas you should be able to use iron sights to at minimum 75 or 100 yards confidently. If there were a reallyheavy canopy and dark woodsthat would be different of course.