Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis on the Way

Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Remington Genesis on the Way

I hope I'm not coming down with "Cayugad's Disease", but I ordered a Remington Genesis this morning. My son is going to start going along, and he generally does not want anything in his gear list to be "same as Dad's". It was amazing how little testing or other documentation I could find on this rifle. We'll see if Big Green lives up to its normally good reputation for quality rifles.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Remington Genesis on the Way

Congratulations on the new rifle. It will be interesting to hear how they shoot. Also I have never saw one or handled one, so your observations will be informative. Are you going to scope the rifle?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roskoe

Perhaps you cannot compare this ML with the Remington ML of the past.

A ML guru recently announced that the Genesis was a Traditions gun with a different name. Have you done any research on this? Just wondering how true this is. Basically just interested inwhere the barrel & stock assembly was made -- not where the entire rifle was assembled.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm not planning to scope the gun - looks like it can be done with a fairly high scope mount, but I'm planningto set upthe Remington as a designated Colorado-legal gun. Will put a green fiber optic rod in the front sight and install a WGRS peep on the rear. Work up a load with maybe the new platinum powerbelt. My kid has very good eyes and shouldn't need a scope even in New Mexico.

I also heard something about the rifle being a Traditions gun with a few special features - or rather made by the same folks to Remington specifications. There appears to be a large information void with respect to this rifle. I''m looking forward to testing it out. Should be here Thursday.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Roskoe

GREAT! - I for one would really be interested in the gun. I almost bought one and then backed out because of the scope issue.

It is not a Tradition's - It is a Spanish manufacturer contracting to Traditions and to Remington to build this ML. We would all like to think that the Remington specs might be tighter than Traditions... but in reality it is the Spanish manufacture that designed the gun and sold it to both companies.

I think the one big difference is that Remington contracted for SS barrels also while traditions stayed with the nickel barrel.

I really expect the gun to perform really well for you and I would bet in the hands of the experiance you have it will. Let us know what you think.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 PM

Well, the nice man in the Brown truck brought me a package this afternoon. This gun is pretty nice. The general fit of things is better than the Traditions and CVA guns I have handled. About on par with the Omega. Recoil pad is the only fit/finish item that is a little weak. I like the ergonomics - stock fits my large hands well and the comb is comfortable.

I also like the pivoting breech block. Seems very natural to me. It only needs about .375 clearance abovethe barrelas it swings over - looks like even medium rings might work with a scope. There is a .003 gap between the front of the breech block and the back of the barrel. I didn't really expect zero clearance here - be interesing to see if this grows over time. And the primer cup allows enough of the 209 primer sticking out to unload with relative ease. At least with an unfired primer.

Rifle has a "QLA" false muzzle that checks out straight with my run-out guage. Trigger is good - just under 4lbs. It has one of those triggers that doesn't come within even 1/4" of the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled and held back. It also has an interesting feature of being capable of disassembly similar to a take down O/U shotgun - remove one screw and the barrel/fore-end lifts off the frame assembly. Hammer comes back far enough for straight line cleaning of the assembled gun, though;so I would imagine the gun wouldn't need to be taken apart very often. Let's see how much blow back comes back through the breech block . . . . .
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

you mean you have not shot it yet?? WOW you have self control.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Had I closed up shop right after the UPS truck came yesterday afternoon, and gone straight to the range; that would be yet an additional symptom of "Cayugad's Disease"

Guess I should have, in retrospect. It is a cold rainy day here today. And the range is a muddy mess when its wet. Maybe it will dry out this afternoon.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Impression of the trigger pull? Any way to adjust it? Finish of the rifle?Tellz us whut ya kin!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:56 PM

The trigger is a little under 4 lbs. and very clean. I currently have no intention ofadjusting it. I may pull the trigger mechanism out tonight and see, just for fun, what would be involved in a little trigger tuning. Lock time seems pretty good - similar to the Omega and maybe a little quicker. The rifle is stainless with camo stock. Finish is very acceptable - about the same as the Omega. Recoil pad fit isa little off - but I'll probably put one of those Simm's Vibration Lab pad on there anyway.

Well, its still raining lightly here. I got under the protection of the SUV hatch and fired a few rounds over the chronograph. The 338 gr. Platinum Powerbelt ahead of 130 grains of 2F Jim Shockey Gold produced 1891 fps at 43 degrees in the rain. I tried 140 grains and did not get an increase in velocity; but did get a little more soot around the primer area and on the front of the hinged breech block.

Went back to 100 yards and fired three shots off the hood of the Durango. This rifle seems to not kick too bad considering how stout these loads are -and with the factory open sights they went into about 3" and hit at the low left corner of the target. Started raining harder and I came back to the shop.

I'm pretty impressed with how little soot was able to get past the semi-sealed breech block. I also like how quick and easy the shotgun primers are to remove when reloading. Having never tried the new Platinum Powerbelts before, I don't know what to expect in terms of velocity. Will probably test a few of my old standby loads next time out to see how this barrel's speed compared to the T/C rifles I already have.