Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cheap AND good bullets?

Old 09-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cheap AND good bullets?

I love cabelas. I would suggets the Buffalo Ball-et. It will work really good and it is cheap. They come 50per box. They shoot good in slow and fast twists.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat200005&id=0020974210223a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0020974210223&parentId=cat200005&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20000 5&hasJS=true
Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well lucky you Biggerhammer. Living in Concord puts you a half hour closer to Riley's than me. What you will find there as you already know I am sure is one of the best reloading stores in the northeast.

What I found to be a great inexpensive round to shoot is go to the reloading part of the store and ask for a box of the Hornaday Interlock flat pointed 265g .44cal bullets. They run just over $20 for 100. Then go to the blackpowder section and buy some loose sabots that fit them. The 265g Interlock is .429 and the mag-express sabots work great with them.

While you are at the blackpowder section of the store take advantage of their Triple Se7en prices, they are cheaper than Walmart until they have their end of season sales. Also they sell real bp there not cheap but cheap enough if that's what you want to shoot. It is the only local place I know of to get real bp since 9/11.

I will add if you can find a good deal on the T/C "Cheapshot Sabots" they also shoot good they are a pure lead bullet with good ballistics that you can find pretty cheap.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Oh, Riley's and I go way back

Thank you for the suggerstion- I was planning to try 777 and I can head by Riley's after work.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know-of a poster who harvested a deer at 202 yards using the bargain-basement priced T/C Cheapshots.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with the idea of using bulk XTP's. They are relatively inexpensive and a proven bullet on deer sized game. I would suggest getting them in 240-300 grain range, in .45 cal (.452). I'm not sure about your Huntsman, but I found that in one CVA rifle I owned, there was NO sabot made that I could match upwith a .44 cal bullet and get it down the barrel. As soon as I switched to .45's I found three that were loadable.
As far as locating the right sabot, you could get a pkg of Harvester Crush Ribs (black), and go from there. If they're too tight, the only thing I know of that's thinner is MMP's 3 Petal sabot. If they're too loose, you can get regular Haversters, Hornadysor MMP's - some of which have already been mentioned.
Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
BS

Good and cheap is a Maxi Ball...........try them with a "wad".
Old 09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

what rate of twist is the barrel of the gun your purchasing. if its 1-48 twist sabots probably wont work well. if your loking for cheap maybe look on ebay for people selling maxi balls that they make from molds. maybe check into those buffalo ballets.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: biggerhammer

Hello-
I'm new to muzzleloading. I'm not new to rifles. Before I go out looking for venison on the hoof, I plan to put at least a hundred rounds through my Huntsman (which should arrive tomorrow, I hope!).

[align=left]One other important factoid about me is that I'm cheap so I cringe at the thought of paying a buck a bang. I look through http://cabelas.com/and while I can appreciate the potential of the powerbelts and such, I'm not sure how much is gimmick and how much is actual advantage.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]What is a good, accurate, cheap bullet solution for .50 muzzleloader?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thank you.[/align]
i use hornady roundballs for practice,then week before deer season, i use maxi-balls.takes about 5 to sight in my .50 cal for deer.NOW, i am using powerbelts, same thing, about 4 or 5 to sight in.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maxi Balls are making a comeback at this messageboard. The 370 is getting the most discussion of all the weights.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 AM

Biggerhammer,
I am sure there are many bullets that would serve you well.
This is what works for me in my Omega and my Pursuit Pro .50 cal. inlines.......
Bullet is Remington .44 mag JHP 240 gr. .429 diameter with the Hornady #6750 green sabot....charge is 2 50/50 Pyrodex pellets.
I purchased 100 bullets and 100 sabots yesterday.....sabots $6.95/50.....bullets $13.95/100. Total for 100 shots was around $29.00 including 6% PA sales tax. Got these at my local gun shop.

Quick Reply: cheap AND good bullets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.