Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

I went out to shoot and started getting bigger groups so when I cleaned it I looked every thing over and found that the touch hole in the breach plug had gotten big enough to run a small hat pin through it shoud be about 1/5 that size.
I thought it might be good to mention it for the beginers that might have deteriorating accuracy.
As always any coments are welcome.
I wish TC would come out with a breach plug with a change able carbide insert or even just a changeable insert. Lee
Old 09-06-2006, 04:44 AM

Default RE: BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

Why? That's just one more thing to have to clean and grease the threads of. Buy a new plug for $14 or $15 and get back to shooting.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:41 AM

yupper,

i ordered a extra one to carry with me, when i purchased rifle..
Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

How maney shots do you figure you get out of one plug.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

How maney shots do you figure you get out of one plug.
There are a half-dozen variables at-least onwhy that plug has a slightly oversized touch hole.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike Hill, I shoot a lot of heavy loads as I use what ever groups the best with in the rifles capability. 130gr APP-ff with 250 shock Waves and 250 XTP's and 150gr with 50/40- 200gr & XTP's; this is pertainent as heaver loads and fast burning powder burn them up faster.
So I get about 6 pounds of powder to a breach plug but I should be changing at about 5 pounds. Theres 7000 grs to a pound so I guess 250 to 300 shots to a plug in my Omega. Lee

Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wolfhound76, Breach plugs cos about 5 times as much as an a vent like savage or a flint lock would,on the Omega the breach plug is the only thing that is a nusince to clean taking the vent out would make it easier in my opinion.Lee
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to get 1000+ shots with every breechplug in that Omega - if they are manufactured correctly. How many vent-liners with 1000 shots?

I have over 1000 shots with my original flat-face Omega breechplug. May get another 1000 shots with it... I dunno!

The touch-hole is larger in my spare deep, concave breechplug with approximently 100 shots on it - than the often-used flat-face one with 1000+ shots.

Remember.... governmental manufacturing variations are "more"-allowed in this industry... versus centerfire industry- thus you will get factory component products with measureable variations.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Wolfhound76, Breach plugs cos about 5 times as much as an a vent like savage or a flint lock would,on the Omega the breach plug is the only thing that is a nusince to clean taking the vent out would make it easier in my opinion.Lee
Go buy a Savage to shoot with pyrodex and triple seven then come back and report how much easier it is to clean.The few people I know of who have one and shoot with bp subswish that the savage had a 1 piece breechplug.

Try using a 1/8" drill bit to clean the plug. It works better than pipe cleaners. I soak mine in hot soapy water or solvent for a 1/2 hour then clean it out with a drill bit and use a paper towel to wipe the threads.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have owned my Encore for many years and have shot over 1000 rounds out of it and the breechplug looks new.

I would never use a drill bit for cleaning bigger than the spec on any touch hole nipple or breech plug and 1/8 of an inch is to big for anything other than a cannon.

Don't get me wrong I use them for cleaning but I only use bits smaller than the hole twisting back and forth in my hand loosely to break up crud. I then soak them to get rid of fowling. and then clean well.

Lee, I can only think that you may clean to aggressively? Not sure good luck PBH.

Quick Reply: BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.