Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BREACH PLUG BURN OUT

Triple Se7en,Mine came with the concave,this is the second one to go in around 300 shots.
Pittsburghunter,no drill bits excep when I build one or mount a scope, I use boil water soap and bristle brushes to clean thats all. Lee

Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee

Send both of them to T/C Inc with a paragraph or two on the bullet & size you're using, powder and powder grain volume, the specific 209 primer you have and your plug-cleaning procedure when asking for an explanation on these two premature failures.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Do you only use the APP powder? My old plug has only seen Pyrodex and Triple Se7en.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pittsburghunter,I started out with Pyrodex RS for most of the first one then I started trying all the new powders shot a pound or so of 777,Pinnicalgold and a couple of pounds of APP-FF. The nipples in my System One actually last longer than the breach plugs in my Omega,but it shoots better than any other one I have ever seen.
Triple Se7en I might just do that,while I am not about to change anything that could be detrimental to the accuracy my curiosity has been stired up.Lee

Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Well you just added something else to the mix without knowing it. I have never shot the RS out of the Encore only the pellets before switching to T7 except may be the first 50 or so shots. The pellets came out the summer after I bought my Encore and I never shot loose Pyrodex after that.

I also have only bought one box of the Triple Se7en pellets I like the loose stuff better.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 PM

Have not had that problem and have shot numerous shots through the TC Encore and Omega .50 Calibers. Don't use the Pyrodex because it seems to be much harder to clean up then the Triple 7. I always do a complete cleaning between shots and always have a spare breechplug to do a quick swap out. Also carry a can of compressed air to blow the plug out with after running some water through it. Q-tips work great for cleaning out both ends of the plugs. By cleaning the entire gun out between shots I do not suffer from any flyers and also do not have any problems with crud or the removing of the plug.