Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline breech cover?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Inline breech cover?

Hi i am new to the site and to muzzleloading. I was wondering two things for now, Do breech covers work and if so should I buy one for my bolt action or are they more for convential inlines?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Inline breech cover?

with a bolt action type rifle you have a closed breech for the most part. So a breech coved is not necessary. Granted you will get some blow back out of bolt rifles, but you're better off with a scope cover if you have a scope. Also, welcome to the forum. It's good to have you here.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I shoot an inline but one of my best friends wouldnt part with his Bolt for Love nor Money.

From range experience with him I would agree with Cayugad 100%, he has very little problems with blowback.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info guys. any sugestions for a good scope cover
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I made one out of an old piece of deer hide. On another scope, I wrapped plastic electrical tape around the scope and then you can wipe it right off. Some people have made them out of inner tube. There are all sorts of things you can come up with. Or you can purchase one. You can buy them at Cabelas.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also made mine out of a neoprene glove, I cut slots to fit over the adjustment caps(for range work)and then zip tip them on my scope. I actually stopped worrying about it in the field, as the number of shots is reduced vs the range. I simply wipe the underside of the scope with oiled rag and GTG.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a bit of clear 3m duck tape to cover the bottom of the scope when shooting either of my Remington 700 ML's. is cheap, hidden from view (takes a close look to see it.) and peels off with out residue.

Al
Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 AM

Have a little short barreled TC Black Diamond. Have been thinking about making a breech cover for it to keep the 209 primer from possibly getting wet. The Black Diamonds bolt lays back from the primer and when the trigger is pulled it slides forward (heavy spring) with much force and smacks the primer with a small detent. And if everything was done right it goes...BOOM. So the primer stays exposed to the elements when the gun is in the cocked position. This is definitely a gun that you would have to hold under your poncho on the stand in a rain storm. Just have not came to a conclusion on what material the make the cover out of. I think that you would definitely want to take it off before firing. Therefore I would want a fastener that is easy to access with gloved fingers and does not make any noise. Could probably treat a piece of deer hide with some snow seal and keep the elements out for a while. Just don't know what kind of fastener to use. Velcro is much too noisy for hunting. But then again, if it is raining on a leaf covered forest floor it may be all the camoflage you need! Too many ifs.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just put a piece of duct tape (camo of course) over the opening, if its raining...If its not, I don't worry about it...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a peice of surgical glove and double stick tape. Lee