Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bergara barrels for Encore?????

Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Bergara barrels for Encore?????

Just got a flyer from Graf & Sons today and in it they have an add for Bergara aftermarket barrels for the Encore frame that are manufactured for or by CVA for their Optima Elite line. They have fluted .45 and fluted .50 caliber muzzleloader barrels in blued and stainless.The blued are 169.99 and the stainless 195.99. They also have the same range of centerfire calibers for the Encore as they do for the Optima Elite for the same pricing. I saw a show where they were making these barrels and they are drilled then buttoned rifled and finished up with machine lapping them. All the operations are done on high tech machinery in a very impressive factory. What do you guys think, especially those with Encores.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bergara barrels for Encore?????

I own only CVA's and have been very impressed with the quality of bergara's manufacturing process. I dont think id hesitate to buy their barrels for the encore.

but then again most of the folks on here say CVA stuff is junk so the bergara encore barrels must be junk too.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:03 AM

I just checked Graf n Sons website.
They appear to be out of stock on all the Bergara Encore barrels.
Prices seem to be about 75 bucks less than T/C barrels and selection was very limited. Depending on quality, they may be a good buy. Perhaps the competition will make T/C lower the prices on their barrels.

I also noticed that Midway has them listed on their website too. Their prices are not as good and their inventory is listed as "coming soon".

Hank
Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I am waiting to hear from someone that actually knows about this barrel manufacturer. From what I have been able to determine it is not the old "Spanish barrel" type of manufacturer. I suspect that the muzzleloading barrel is also made for the Optima Elite from this same factory. If so that is a real good thing. I have been wondering how Randy is going to handle this one.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

I own only CVA's and have been very impressed with the quality of bergara's manufacturing process. I dont think id hesitate to buy their barrels for the encore.

but then again most of the folks on here say CVA stuff is junk so the bergara encore barrels must be junk too.
I read this forum everyday. Never saw anyone word CVAs as "Junk".

BTW.... I just purchased a brand new discontinued CVA Youth Stalker Carbine sidelock for the grandson. I thought about the Youth Ruger or Youth Wolverine, but I preferred a wood stock & the CVA's slower twist for low recoil roundball bullets.

Those Bergara Encore barrels are S.A.A.M.I.-centerfire regulated. They can't be "junk".
Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were in need of an Encore barrel, might consider one. Made in Spain doesn't equate to junk - the Spaniards have made some of the finest firearms in the world.

You should, however, consider the difference in price between these "barrels-only" and a complete rifle sold at retail for $69 in a chain store. Price certainly does not equate to quality but there are limits to that situation.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM

I just bought a Bergara barrel for my Encore in a 243. I got it from Natchezss on sale this month for $174 for stainless Steel. I got it last week. It came without sites. It is drilled to fit my Encore scope base. I put It on my encore and it fit very well. I cleaned it up, shot it and it shot very good groups. I was using a red dot sight and shot very tight groups (almost same hole at 50yds) at 100yds the sight limits me some but I still shot fairly tight groups. This is 100 bucks less then Thompson barrels. They also have a black barrel for $149 this month. I would buy another one if I wanted to try a different Cal. The color of the stainless was a perfect match to my Encore. Fun to shoot.

Want2bfishing