Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 11-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelt Effectiveness

Jim...my setup is a Knight MK-85 with a 3-9 scope. I shoot .260 grain jacketed Knight sabots, with 100 grians of pyrodex. On a bench my gun will shoot a one hole group at 50 yds, and a 1.5 inch group at 100 yds. I really like it, and it is deadly. I've had it since '94, and killed alot of game with it...in fact...I've never ever missed anything with it (knock on wood). It shoots better than I can.
Like I said...I went to the jacketed bullets...for better expansion. Many of the deer I killed (using the non-jacketed bullets)ran up to about 100 yds...with little blood...even though they were essentially running dead. I understand about how they can be difficult to find sometimes, when that happens. Good luck

Old 11-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did most of my deer shooting with round balls of .50 cal., before any of these new-fangled bullets and fast-twist barrels hit the market. Due to their low sectional density, I always waited for a broadside shot with the round ball, and tried to put them behind the shoulder, where all they had to get through was a rib before hitting heart/lung tissue. With this shot placement, I ALWAYS got pass-thrus. The ENTRANCE wounds tended to be large, sometimes as big as a baseball, while the exit wound was much smaller, about the size of the ball. My theory is that a soft lead round ball tends to "splatter" when it hits, and the denser, smaller size center section of the ball is what goes on through. Also, with this kind of a hit with a round ball, the animals often went 25-50 yards after the shot, BUT whe blood trails were awesome! Like someone had been using a paint sprayer to spray red paint all over, on both sides of the animal's path. Up to 100 yards, (WITH PROPER PLACEMENT)the RB kills as well as any of the other types of ML bullets.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:15 PM

I jumped on the Powerbelt bandwagon this year with the 348 gr. copper clad hollow point. After shooting the Knight 260 gr. lead bullet for many years with great results, I wanted an easier loading bullet. The bullet loaded great and I reduced my group size by over 50%. That's where the good news stops.
I shot a nice 10 pointer on Thursday last week and was highly disappointed in the expansion of this bullet. After shooting him more than once to keep him down, inspection found one bullet not quite through him, the others clean punches through. The one bullet recovered had fragmented around the hollow point, but had almost zero expansion. It was like you took a hack saw and cut the hollow point off! The 260 gr Knights always gave better than 50% expansion.
At any rate, this deer did bleed and I probably didn't have to pop him a couple more times (a wall hanger that WASN'T going to get away!), but the fact that he got up an kept walking after the first couple hits has me bugged.
I'm going to try the Hornady XTP's. They are designed to open up at lower velocities. My friend swears by Barnes MZ bullets. At ~$2 a round, he should!
Old 11-12-2002, 04:10 PM

e-mail them on the bullett and ask what the manfacturer has to say. I would say not enough ponch(powder) to get the expantion.????????don't know for sure.
the first hog my wife shot it ripped a hole the size of your hand,the second in the neck out through the off side shoulder there was no bullet left to see expantion but an awsome hole,150 grains of pyrodex pellets.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

I have 10 rounds recovered from a standard wine box that was packed with wet screened sand from a session at the local sand pit range. These were the 295 gr copper clad HP 50 cal, the smallest diameter was 7/8" with the largest being 1 1/8" and each bullet retained 85% or better its original weight. Now I know that is not the cross coefficient of a deer but I would think that the sand would cause more damage to the bullet ie seperation than a pass through. I was also amazed at the cavity the bullet made in the sand, seemed to almost fuse the crystals to an area you could stick your fist into.

10 Pointers
Old 11-13-2002, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2002, 01:55 PM

I ALSO GOT RID OF THE POWERBELTS FOR MY 50 @ 54 CAL. ALL WAYS IN A GROUPE OF 4 SHOTS WOULD ALLWAYS PICK UP A FLYER SWITCH TO PERCISION SABOT I THINK THERE IS NOT ONE BAD REVIEW ON PERCISION SABOT
Old 11-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a lighter bullet?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.