Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

a used white in .451

Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default a used white in .451

I just purchased a used white in 45 and was wondering if anyone knows about this rifle it is a WHITETAIL it has one action screw and looks like a short barrel, maybe 22". If anyone knows about this white and can tell me a little more about it. That would be great. I plan on shooting connicals though it and wonder if the great plains 285 gr. is enough for elk. also is this a good accurate bullet. I was looking for a .50 but found this first and it was a great deal the owner keep in great shape. I was wondering about powder charge as well I was thinking in the 70 to 80 gr. range and wondered what you all thought. I have been reading chuck hawks site and Randy Wakemans articles it seems we can't be friends, me having a .45 and all. To anyone who replys thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: a used white in .451

Checkout white's website. Maybe you can get a little more info there.

http://www.whiterifles.com/index.cfm

As far as bullets go, white makes a 380 gr. conical for the .45 that would be great elk medicine. They also load a 350 gr. saboted bullet for the .45 that would more than likely work well too. If you really want to throw some lead down range, No Excuses makes a 460 gr. conical for the .45 that would be he!! on wheels for elk. http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/
With a good size conical, an 80-90 gr. charge would work well.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Or you can try here for some additional info. You have to weed through a ton of nonsense, but these guys know the White's. The first post in the bullet section is a picture of some bullets that are made by The Bull Shop.

http://dwbs.proboards28.com/index.cgi

The Bull Shop's site is here.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html

I just ordered 500 more of the 460 gr .5045's for my White Ultra Mag. Well, actually mine, my son's and my dad's. Dan does an outstanding job on these conicals and even with shipping and insurance from Alaska they are very economical

I ordered 500 460's and total price delivered to my door is $110.25. Check's in the mail. That's 22 cents each for the mathematically challenged.

By the way, congrats on your new rifle. I am sure you will love it.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

The .451 is a great caliber. Just make sure it is legal where you plan to hunt elk with it as some States do insist on a .50 caliber. The .451 from all I have read is one of the most accurate calibers out there. The Whitetail is the basic White rifle. It has one locking lug, 22" barrel, and a bold trigger normally. They are a great rifle. Some people to bed the barrel and put a second locking lug on them while others shoot them just the way they are.

I would suggest a 70 grain powder charge of Triple Se7en 3f. You might also want to try the large conicals with and without wads. Conicals in the 460 grain range should shoot well from all I have read. Some of the others forums are dedicated to White Rifles.