Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

10mm 200 grain XTP's

Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 10mm 200 grain XTP's

well then they make a cheap accurate plinker...
Old 08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

If you think about it the XTP was not really built for game but the larger bullets performed well on them and m/l regulations didn't bar them. In my state you can't use hollow points in a cartridge rifle on deer sized game.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

That is exactly what I was saying. The flat point I was talking about was built for the .44mag shooting out of a carbine at 1400-1700fps.
You know I like the flat-point better too. Wasn't too long ago the forum had athread about hollowpoint vs. solid point. Thought I was going to be beheaded for suggesting that a rifle bullet may be a better choice for 1900+ velocities. But then, how can one argue with a person who shot a hog through the shoulder plate and got a pass through with an xtp when driven by 3 50 grain pellets? Nothing succeeds like success.

Alot of people are doing it, that is,100 grain or higher under these xtps. What is a shockwave but an xtp with a plastic nose piece. These bullets are marketed as being appropriate for 2 and 3 pellet loads. Even Roskoe is planning to shoot 200 shockwaves at elk this fall with 130 grains of 777.

Really when one thinks about it. By the time the xtp's hollow point peels back, its no longer a hollowpoint. Its a 150 grain jacketed flat point the diameter of an expanded .50 cal roundball, having superior sectional density. I don't think there is any doubt that xtp bullets can penetrate and wound deeply, even when pushed hard. I personally wouldn't doit, but I don't think any one is going to be disappointed with the results on deer sized gameif placed like one would a roundball.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wolfhound76

I agree with you that is what Hornady says the performance range is, but I got to tell you I have shot this bullet a bunch and it will perform. It will put the deer down.

The 240 XTP (pistol bullet) does not have great numbers either but it certainly has killed a lot of animals.

I do not have my range book handy but pglasgow's estimate of 2250 seems right near what I was getting across my chrono.

I have recovered several bullets shot into sand and clay and they hold together just fine - they are certainly distorted but they are there. I have not seen any sign of blowup/fragmentation except when i shoot basalt rocks.

Just my opinion but I think you might be underestimating that bullet on thin skinned animals....

Pittsburghunter

Yeh, think about it there is a reason we don't use hollowpointed bullets in .308 rifles.
Well that is not entirely right either - Barnes seems to be making a pretty good living producing X-bullets (hollow points) for big game rifles.

cayugad

It is a hand gun bullet as most of any of the jacketed bullets we shoot - from what I am seeing from my own trials and from I have found out from other people - that bullet will work on deer just fine - It will not give you the long range performance of a 10mm 200 grain SST or SW. It will, although, work better than the SST/SW at close range. At close ranges the SST/SW tend to pass right through - rapidly... the animal is dead but it might not realize it right away.

Don't give up on it - I bet you will like it...

Old 08-09-2006, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Wolfhound76

I agree with you that is what Hornady says the performance range is, but I got to tell you I have shot this bullet a bunch and it will perform. It will put the deer down.

The 240 XTP (pistol bullet) does not have great numbers either but it certainly has killed a lot of animals.

I do not have my range book handy but pglasgow's estimate of 2250 seems right near what I was getting across my chrono.

I have recovered several bullets shot into sand and clay and they hold together just fine - they are certainly distorted but they are there. I have not seen any sign of blowup/fragmentation except when i shoot basalt rocks.

Just my opinion but I think you might be underestimating that bullet on thin skinned animals....
In any case it's a moot point for me asIllinois has a 44 cal bullet minimum. I'd be glad to hear any reports on game you have though.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

Ill definatly agree with that , Ive put down a couple with that bullet and 100 grains of pyrodex behind it . The bullet preformance was excelent , just passing thru with very good expansion on one and , stoping just inside the skin on the opposite side on a couple .