Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Variation tests

Old 08-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Powder Variation tests

I was testing some bullets a person I met on line sent me. To make sure the test was fair and accurate, I first tested some know bullets to make sure the powder and rifle were all doing their part. I tested Goex 3f, Triple Se7en 3f, Swiss 3f, Pyrodex P, and finally Swiss 2f. I was shooting460 grain BullShop Conicals, 70 grains of each powder, and with wads except for the Swiss 2f powder. CCI #11 caps were used (the non magnum brand).

All the testing was done from my scoped White .504 Ultra Mag with the Nikon Pro Staff scope at 50 yards off a single Caldwell rest bag. What surprised me the most was how relatively similar the White shoots all these different powders. There really was no variation in the POI and the accuracy was more then acceptable no matter what powder I shot. Each of the four shot groups were done and at no time did I swab the barrel clean until I tested the other bullets.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder Variation tests

This is the results of shooting four shots with 70 grain of Swiss 2f and the 460 gr BullShop Conical. I did not use wads here, and shot them as fast as I could load and shoot. I shot at the same bull as the Triple Se7en so you have to look between the pictures to determine the results, but overall the Swiss did real good.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

A person I have been talking to on line named Graywolf casts his own bullets for the White Ultra Mags. They are a 480 grain I think and he makes his own home made lube that is excellent. I was shooting 70 grains of three different powders and wads, with his bullets. I started with the Triple Se7en 3f, then shot PyrodexP and finally some Swiss 3f. Over all his bullets did real well. They fell down the barrel and to seat them the simple weight of the ramrod was all that was needed to seat them. I saved some of them for long range so we will see what happens when I move back to the 100 yard line.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, what is the approx velicity and trajectory on those 460 and 480 and what do you hunt with them? Lee
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM

I'm not cayugad, but I have been looking at this for a little while. I don't have a chrono, but from what I have gathered from other places on the internet, (many thanks to those who have provided it).......

460 gr conical, 80 gr Triple 7 ffg gives you about 1380 ft/sec muzzle velocity.

plugging this into a ballistics program with a 100 yd zero, I get this.

25 yds +1.56"
50 yds +2.39"
75 yds +1.92"
100 yds 0
125 yds -3.43"
150 yds -8.49"

My son and I will be using this load (+/- on the powder) this year for deer and elk.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great report cayugad. The swiss and t7 really shined. I was surprised on how the 3f Goex performed for you. Wish I had a place to purchase Swiss locally, I would like to try it. I would be interested if a 10 grain filler would help any. If you try any please report! Phil
Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 PM

By the way, I do plan to verify prior to hunting, just haven't quite got that far yet.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

cayugad, what is the approx velicity and trajectory on those 460 and 480 and what do you hunt with them? Lee
lemoyne - I was told the approximate velocity of that round is 1350 fps. Also they have a lot of drop to them. If I had long distance that I would encounter, I would site them in at 100 yards. Since I don't, I sight in at 70 yards and when at 50 yards aim for the 6 o'clock position of the bull with the cross hair. They rise about an inch then and hit dead center, while being dead on at 70 yards and 2.5 inches low at 100 yards.

I've read reports where some people sight these in for 130 yards and that allows them some much longer point on shooting with these rainbow trajectory conicals.

Pglasgow - I've made a note to take the cornmeal with me next time and try that instead of the wads. I will use as you suggest, a 10 grain filler just to see what they do.

Something interesting is running that concial of .504 diameter with a .220 BC and 1350 fps, look at the energy that thing retains... WOW!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I've read reports where some people sight these in for 130 yards and that allows them some much longer point on shooting with these rainbow trajectory conicals.
If you don't mind the 130 yard elevation a little less than 3" below line of sight, then the highest elevation point is less than 3.5". Thats definitely workable on deer definitely no problem for elk. I have a bushnell 3X9 with bullet drop compensater on my 25-06. I have been considering (though I can't use it during regular muzzleloading) installing that scope and using the BDC to adjust elevation. I figure I should be able to adjust elevation to 220 yards. If you aren't familiar with it, the BDC just allows you to click the elevation by twisting the cap, you just line up of yardage on the wheel inside to the mark on this plastic window. Batta-boom, elevation is "clicked in" to the range finders range, cross hairs on the target where you want impact.

Pglasgow - I've made a note to take the cornmeal with me next time and try that instead of the wads. I will use as you suggest, a 10 grain filler just to see what they do.

Something interesting is running that concial of .504 diameter with a .220 BC and 1350 fps, look at the energy that thing retains... WOW!!
Thanks.

Oh yeah, its able to deliver a lethal blow as far as we are able to accurately aim it.

Phil