Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

does this sound normal?

Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default does this sound normal?

I shot my TC Blackdiamond last night and tried 90 grs APP 2f could not get a group better than 4inch. Then I switched to 90grs. 777 2f and all 3 shots were almost touching but 10 inches high of where the APP group was. Does this make any sense to anybody. I was shooting from 50yds, off a bench with I scoped gun.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: does this sound normal?

ORIGINAL: Dakotabowhunter

I shot my TC Blackdiamond last night and tried 90 grs APP 2f could not get a group better than 4inch. Then I switched to 90grs. 777 2f and all 3 shots were almost touching but 10 inches high of where the APP group was. Does this make any sense to anybody. I was shooting from 50yds, off a bench with I scoped gun.
Perfect sense... Some rifles hate APP. This is especially true depending on the projectile. I shot some loads that were as much as six inches different.

90 grains of Triple Se7en 2f would be more like shooting 105 grains of the APP for power wise. Also when shooting APP & Pinnacle, as long as the projectiles were light, the accuracy was good. If I got them over 300 grains, there was no telling how big the group would get.

In my Black Diamond XR I like 100-110 grains of loose Triple Se7en and a 200 or 250 grain Shockwave. Excellent accuracy. I also get exceptional accuracy with 100 grains of Goex 2f and a 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB. There are a lot of other things the BD shoots well. But your experiences with the two powders really does not surprise me at all..
Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every ML is different -- so is every powder manufacturer.

To this day, my Omega feels APP FFF is the cats meow. But I never bought anymore after testing it. Even the FFF is too coarse for my sidelocks & won't pour evenly into my powder measure. The heavier the bullet -- the more shot groups spread.

Adequate/serviceablepowder if you are shooting under 300 grains - want an ultra-clean bore when shooting -use a weigh measuring system instead of a volume measurer - are recoil-sensitive - live in a moderately low humidity sector - use only inlines - not interested in high energy.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,we have so very similar results on somethings and so very differant on others. I really wish you lived within traveling range I have a feeling that if we had a chance we would learn things together that elude us individually. At the moment I would like to put my finger on what causes some of us to have such an unbelieveable differance in results when using certain powders. I have 14 muzzleloaders at the moment and for the most part results tend to be at least similar,particularly with 777 and APP are we overlooking something weor do, that makes them work or not work?
I find APP the most forgiving powder I have ever shot and 777necessitates a full scrub for a second shot. Is it possable that something we use reacts chemically with certain powders to make them better or worse? Lee

Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dakotabowhunter

I agree with cayugad-what you describe is the phenomenon known as "every rifle is different". What shoots good in one might not be worth a hoot in another one. Glad you found a load that will shoot well in your gun. Just set the sights for that 777 load, and you're in business! (777 is a lot more powerful than an equal amount of APP-I'd be willing to bet your 777 load is giving a higher MV than what you were getting with APP!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

cayugad,we have so very similar results on somethings and so very differant on others. I really wish you lived within traveling range I have a feeling that if we had a chance we would learn things together that elude us individually. Lee
Many's the time I've read a post, and thought "I wish I lived closer to this guy - I'll bet if we could meet at the range and do some testing,we could find out what's going on with that gun, or load, etc"! I suppose that's one of the DISADVANTAGES of the internet - people on any given forum areliterally all over the world!