Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkens Muzzleloader?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Hawkens Muzzleloader?

do any of y'all use one of these? I have a .50 cal hawkens made by T/C.I think they're a great gun and relly fun to shoot. any yall hunt or have one??

-Travis-
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 AM

Default RE: Hawkens Muzzleloader?

Have several...caplocks,flintlocks, different calibers, etc...IMO, the TC Hawken is best quality withlifetime warranty for the money that's out there.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Tradition Hawken,sold it and bought a Knight Disc Extreme in May in .50cal.,realy like the way it shoot but I miss a Hawken.
Looking to trade my Disc Extreme with all the equipments $1050. in value.Would trade it for a T/C Hawken.
Taureau noir
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
bigcountry

Yep, got a one but its called a cougar. Hawken with pewter looking furniture. I love it. I shoot that along with a few different knights, and had a encore, but sold the barrel.

But the hawken is my favorite.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have Cabelas' LH'ed version. Wife got it for me about 11 years ago. I love the thing. Sweet shooting, easy to clean. What more could you want?

Travis

PS Nice name
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hawkens-style are my favorite MLs. You can buy all kinds of aftermarket barrels for yours at trackofthewolf.com. They are fine Green Mountain barrels that slip right in. Need help finding the correct size for your T/C Hawkens... just ask here.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=14&subID=142&styleID= 491
Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

do any of y'all use one of these? I have a .50 cal hawkens made by T/C.I think they're a great gun and relly fun to shoot. any yall hunt or have one??-Travis-
I have fourHawken-type rifles. Two of these were made for me by a retired postman in Indianapolis IN, the late Virgil Hartley, using barrels made by the late William (Bill) Large. These two are .45 and .50 caliber halfstock caplocks, 32" long barrels, with 1/72" twist rifling in each barrel.

Both these are extremely accurate with round balls, and also shoot Maxiballs quite well. I have the .50 set up to use an aperture rear sight or a scope, as desired. The .45 is equipped with open, aperture, and scope sights.

Another is a "Jedediah Smith Commemorative Santa Fe Hawken of ".54" caliber which is IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY to the rifle Jedediah Smith was carrying when the Comanches killed him on ther Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail in 1831, and sold his guns to the Mexicans in Santa Fe. It is rifled 1/60", and the original rifle, which was used for the pattern for this gun, is in a museum in Santa Fe this very day! I have never shot anything but a .530" PRB in it, and it shoots better than I can aim it with those open sights!

The other one is a .577" caliber, 36" barreled fullstock flintlock that I made myself using a 1" across-the-flats barrel from theGreen River Rifle Works in Roosevelt UT. It also shoots PRB or a 570-grain .575" Minie ball extremely well with nothing but iron sights. It is also rifled 1/60". My standard load in this gun is 120 grains of FFg with either the PRB or the Minie. Kicks like hell with that Minie!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:56 PM

I had a TC Renegade. It was a very nice shooting gun but i didnt buy it brand new. And personally, I dont think the TC hawken is worth $500. Thats just taking advantage of people badly. All of Tc's guns are over priced. You can buy a cva hawken or a traditions hawken for between $285-300 and it will shoot just as good. Theres a pic of what my cheap $277 traditions kentucky flintlock rifle shot at 100 yards off the back of a 4 wheeler. I'll put that gun up against any $500+ rifle. Take The Lyman rifles for example. Most people ive heard talk about them on forums are asking why they are shooting 2 1/2" grounds at 50 yards! Lyman rifle costs over $400 and its shooting crappy 2 1/2" groups at that short of distance? Pretty crappy groups for the money they charge if you ask me.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Tradition Hawken but had to have 2barrels change in order to get one useable barrel.That is the reason for a better quality barrel
Taureau noir
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen new Lyman rifles in the 200's. With the perfect load a lyman can shoot really well. The shooter needs to do his part to.

Quick Reply: Hawkens Muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.